Superman: Space Age (USA) di Mark Russell & Mike Allred

Aperto da Man of Steel, 04 Aprile 2022, 20:23:58

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Man of Steel

A Superman Classic in the Making

Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.

CitazioneSUPERMAN: SPACE AGE

Three Issue Prestige Format from Mark Russell and Mike Allred

Meet  Clark  Kent,  a  young  reporter  who  just  learned  that  the  world  will  soon  come  to  an  end  (Crisis  on  Infinite Earths) and there is nothing he can do to save it. Sounds like a job for his alter ego...Superman! Superman: Space Age from critically acclaimed writer Mark Russell (One-Star  Squadron and The Flintstones) and Eisner-winner artist Mike Allred (Silver Surfer and Bowie: Stardust, Rayguns & Moonage Daydreams) will be available in comic shops on July 26, 2022.

"This is a dream project for me," said Mark Russell. "Not only because I get to work with a genius like Mike Allred, but because I've always found Superman such a philosophically fascinating character, one which forces us to ask how different would the world be if we chose to be our best selves?"

After years of standing idle, the young man from Krypton defies the wishes of his fathers to come out to the world as the first superhero of the Space Age. As each decade passes and each new danger emerges, he wonders if this is the one that will kill him and everyone he loves. Superman realizes that even good intentions are not without their backlash as the world around him transforms into a place as determined to destroy itself as he is to save it.

"SUPER pumped to finally reveal what we've been working on in secret for so long," said Mike Allred.  "Easily my biggest project for DC yet. Working with Mark Russel and his brilliant script has been a blast!  Packed with head-spinning iconography, top tier characters, twists, thrills, and chills, resulting in a powerful instant classic epic! It's been simultaneously intimidating and inspiring to meet the challenge of illustrating this phenomenal project!

Uniting  the  critically acclaimed writer Mark Russell and Eisner-winner Mike Allred for the first time,  this  series promises fans an unforgettable journey through U.S. history and culture starring our beloved characters.

The first of three issues will be available at local comic book stores on July 26, with a new issue coming out every two months. SUPERMAN: SPACE AGE #1 features a main cover by Mike Allred, open to order variant cover by Steve Rude, a 1:25 variant cover by Nick Derington and a 1:50 variant cover by Mike Allred.

SUPERMAN: SPACE AGE #1
Written by MARK RUSSELL
Art and cover by MIKE ALLRED
Variant cover by STEVE RUDE
1:25 variant cover by NICK DERINGTON
1:50 variant cover by MIKE ALLRED
$9.99 US | 80 pages | 1 of 3 | Prestige
ON SALE 7/26/22

[/Spoiler]

[/Spoiler]
https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2022/04/04/a-superman-classic-in-the-making

HA! Dai dai, che possono contare anche su Superman per stare a galla, Superman IS! :D

Mark Russel è un grande fan di Superman e un tempo si diceva che sarebbe stato lui ad occuparsi del rilancio di Supes post-Bendis, poi alla fine qualcosa lo ha scritto lo stesso per Future State, maaaa PKJ fece di meglio.

Inutile parlare di Allred, lel.
We're all searching for enlightenment.
But what is light?
Different for everyone. But everyone looking.

See what we want to see.
No matter how small...or big we are.

Arkin Torsen

La miglior vendetta è vivere bene, e stronzate del genere (John Constantine)

Azrael

INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Man of Steel

Superman: Space Age - Mark Russell & Mike Allred Detail a Grounded, More Contemplative Man of Tomorrow
https://www.cbr.com/superman-space-age-mark-russell-mike-allred-interview/

Citazione20th-century history collides with the DC Universe in the upcoming comic book miniseries Superman: Space Age by Mark Russell and Mike Allred. Set in a vision of the DCU that has its heroes inspired by the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963, the story depicts a new origin for many of DC's most iconic characters, including the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight. In this world, Clark Kent tries to find his way in the wake of the national tragedy, learning of his Kryptonian heritage as the Cold War against the Soviet Union heats up. Creating the superhero mantle of Superman, Clark is ready to inspire the world to believe in hope again but the Man of Tomorrow is not alone.

CBR: Superman: Space Age comes after Superman and the Authority and DC New Frontier which also prominently featured the Kennedy Administration. What is it about the Kennedy legacy that looms large over the DCU and Superman?

Mark Russell:
I think it represented hope in a way that Superman wouldn't have to take up the torch for because hope is the surplus that we invest into a person on top of what they actually are. Beyond what Superman or JFK was, we just needed to feel that there was somebody who cared enough to be the standard-bearer for the human race at a time when it did not look at all hopeful that the human race was going to survive.

There is an undercurrent of war and the threat of war in this story, including glimpses of Jonathan Kent's World War II past. What was it about incorporating those wartime elements and grounding these characters in 20th-century history that appealed to you?

Russell:
I think we're all products of history in the sense that the world is largely out of our control. But what's meaningful about us is how we respond to the world. That's what makes us who we are, and that's what I wanted to show, ultimately, with Jonathan and with Superman.

How was it bringing those wartime scenes to life visually, Mike?

Mike Allred:
Challenging! It's important to make it as authentic as possible, and I think having those scenes in there takes you into a much deeper appreciation of Superman's family and what makes him the man that he is, with two fathers. We get to see how they've inspired him to be the best person that he can be, so there's a hopefulness to him even though we see these very dark moments that his Earth father survived. At that point, it's easier to get a deeper understanding of why Clark became Superman. [Jonathan] is a good person.

More than just Superman, Kennedy's death also inspires Bruce Wayne. How was it showing Bruce trying to save the world as himself before jumping into the fray as Batman?

Russell:
Batman, in a lot of ways, is the response to the world, with the Kennedy assassination and the near-miss with the Soviet Union in a nuclear exchange. It prompted him to go, "I can't just assume life is going to be smooth sailing for a defense industry billionaire anymore. If I want this world to continue on, I might have to actually dive in and help it somehow."

Allred: Batman is the biggest surprise for me. Everybody in my family and circle of friends knows that Batman is my all-time favorite character. It might surprise people knowing that, with how little I've worked with him. I did over a hundred covers for the Batman '66-themed books. That's how I entered the world, with the Batman TV show. [laughs] It was always there and on TV every afternoon. It was very much a part of my life; Adam West's Batman was my second father. From that TV show, which I took very seriously, I learned to look both ways before I crossed the street and how to make sure to wear my seatbelt.

As silly as that show is, it wasn't for me as a child. The seriousness of Batman in this book is exactly how I saw the TV show as a child. It's a vague, real-world version of Batman, and we get to see his metamorphosis. Being given the freedom to show the development of the suit, gadgets, and their progress and evolution is just a real gift and probably the biggest surprise from this project in how much fun it has been to do Batman in this way and the other super characters who show up, but Batman, in particular, has been very gratifying.

Russell: I will say that I think Mike's Batman is the coolest Batman I've ever seen because, like Superman, he's a guy just finding his way. He's learning and puts together his suit in such a way that's both badass and believable. But this is a guy that's more dangerous because he doesn't quite know what he's doing yet, he just knows it has to be done.

How has it been working together on this?

Allred
: For me, it's been a gigantic gift. When the project came together, the first thing we did was have Mark come down and stay at our house; Mark lives a couple hours north of us in Portland, and we live in Eugene, Oregon. We just walked through town, and I gave him the Animal House tour. Typically when we have visitors, if they're fans of Animal House, it's a weird little treat. It wasn't a distraction for Mark and me, we were into daydreaming and brainstorming about how this project was in front of us. I feel like I bonded with Mark there and very much became spiritually a brother in the creative process, and from there, it was just a matter of knocking down the pages.

Russell: It's been a dream working with Mike as well. Mike is precisely the kind of artist that I love working with where you can give them a script with the description that these are just suggestions and that they can ignore them and just do what they want art-wise, and you just know it's going to come back better. He doesn't disappoint. His art is just amazing, and every page where he overruled my page breakdowns and created his own has been a massive improvement.

It's just overwhelming to be able to work with somebody who is that good and able to improve upon your own creativity. I had a really great time hanging out with Mike and Laura, and I feel like we really got on the same page there. I felt confident when I sent him the scripts because he knows exactly what I'm talking about and how to make this better.

Hal Jordan plays a prominent role in this story, even before he gets that Green Lantern Power Ring. What did you want him to bring with him in Superman: Space Age?

Russell
: In a lot of ways, Hal Jordan represents the majority of people back then. He's my everyman because he has this very Cold War "Us vs. Them" mentality where a nuclear showdown is inevitable. So he thinks we should be the ones to strike first but he quickly realizes that he's got to grow up and hurry if the human race is to survive. I think that's the challenge to all of us. In the '60s with the nuclear standoff between us and the Soviet Union, but also now -- we've got to be willing to shed our old paradigms and xenophobic way of thinking or we're condemning each other to death.

Allred: I also think he's a great representation of how power can be used responsibly or irresponsibly depending on our perspective and what's in our periphery. We all have our standard perspectives on existence, and, as individuals, our perceptions are incredibly different from each other. Depending on how we approach something or feel about a political situation, depending on our power and influence, we can either make things better or we can pull a trigger without knowing who we're aiming at and cause a lot of damage.

I really love Hal in a very subtle way that is driven home and made very clear. I think that Hal Jordan has a "Just following orders" mentality of just seeing the target, going for it, and just having faith that you're taking down the enemy and that the power at your fingertips is being used responsibly, justly, and effectively.

The prologue opens with a window to the future, with the world seemingly coming to an end. Why did you want to open up the book with such apocalyptic intensity?

Russell:
I think it's easy to represent hope when everything might turn out alright, but how do you inspire hope and the ability to carry on when it's clear that not everything is going to be alright? That's what I wanted to do with Superman. How do you continue to be Superman when you know the end is coming? What does that do to how you live if you ultimately know it's going to be for nothing in the sense that it's going to be destroyed?

I think Superman's answer is that it's not for nothing, that if you do something, it's going to reverberate throughout eternity, whether it ends or not. That's where hope resides, not in the idea that this will be successful but in the idea that this is who we are, and this needs to be done whether we're successful or not.

Allred: I think that's the key to hope in the entire project. From the beginning, we're told everything we're about to be is for nothing because it's all ending. You'll go year after year with these characters, and you'll see people fall in love, children being born, and you see these world events in our history. You see life existing, and you think, "For what?" I think this is where the title of the book is significant because, since the Space Age, the world we live in could realistically end at any moment, we're capable of destroying ourselves, let alone some entity from outer space. The progress of the human race has also created the ability to destroy the human race.

You have to embrace every moment that you have in your existence. Each of us are sharing our turn on Earth, and we hope our existence and relationships mean something. If we were to know there was a guaranteed impending doom, we'd do things differently. What's fun about this doom aspect, if you can approach it that way, is the fact that you're reading a Superman book, that's where the hope comes in. You've seen this impending doom, but is there still hope? As you go through the lives and decades of these characters, is there hope? How is this going to end? It's thrilling knowing what you've seen at the beginning of the book.

Russell
: This book really asks the question, "Can hope exist outside of outcome?" Superman's answer is, of course, "Yes."

Written by Mark Russell and illustrated by Mike Allred, Superman: Space Age #1 goes on sale July 26 from DC Comics.

Everything Matters. :nono:

Credo proprio che questa storia sarà qualcosa di speciale, bellissima intervista. :sisi:
But what is light?

See what we want to see.

Man of Steel

Letto #1
Bellissimo.

Onestamente non ogni decisione creativa del writer era di mio gusto, tipo la backstory di Pa' Kent  o quello che dice a Clark, un po' simile a quello di Zack Snyder, but all in all?
Sembra un comic molto importante, uno che gioca col "Superman Is." of it all e devo dire che Russel ha colto le cose più importanti dell'essenza di Superman, è andato molto più vicino rispetto a tanti altri but then again...sto leggendo anche AC di PKJ e lui sembra essere al top per ora, heh.

Allred, ovviamente, sempre fantastico.
But what is light?

See what we want to see.

Man of Steel

SUPERMAN: SPACE AGE #3
Written by MARK RUSSELL
Art and cover by MIKE ALLRED
Variant cover by JOE QUINONES
1:25 variant cover by NICK DERINGTON
$9.99 US | 80 pages | 3 of 3 | Prestige
(all covers are card stock)
ON SALE 11/22/22
The end is nigh! As red skies reign, Superman does what he can to make the world a better place for as long as it continues to exist. But money is power in the greed-driven '80s, and villains like Lex Luthor seem poised to win in the end. Little do they know, there are bigger things to worry about and the hero they've grown to hate is their only hope against this crisis! Don't miss the riveting finale of this soon-to-be-classic miniseries!
But what is light?

See what we want to see.

Man of Steel

Letto #2
Anche questo era un bel numero, dove il writer cerca di esplorare questioni come

E fa anche un gran bel lavoro, Allred mi è piaciuto un po' di meno, i guess è pieno zeppo di lavoro, ma nulla di grave...

Pazzesco che ora uno debba aspettare fino febbraio per la conclusione tho...
But what is light?

See what we want to see.

Man of Steel

Letto #3

C'è qualcosa di marcio in questo numero o nell'intera mini, momenti sparsi a random in mezzo al brillante storytelling da parte del writer, tante genialate e momenti scritti davvero bene, ma sempre placate da un freno a mano tirato per bene...  :mmm:

Sono sicuro che se avessi modo di leggere una ongoing scritta da Russell o altri suoi lavori su un pg come Superman troverei dei nei o miei personal issues sulla sua visione del pg or you know...solo per comprendere meglio come vede certe cose...
But what is light?

See what we want to see.