News:

Sostenete DC Leaguers (scopri come).

Menu principale

Wolverine and the X-Men: Alpha & Omega (USA) di B.Wood

Aperto da Azrael, 30 Dicembre 2011, 14:38:43

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Azrael

Preview: Wolverine and the X-Men: Alpha & Omega #1 di 5

Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.

INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Matches Malone

Ma c'entra con la serie Wolverine & the X-Men di Aaron? Chiedo visto che anche qui ci sono Wolverine e QQ.

Captain America

Citazione di: Matches Malone il 30 Dicembre 2011, 15:34:00
Ma c'entra con la serie Wolverine & the X-Men di Aaron? Chiedo visto che anche qui ci sono Wolverine e QQ.
Da quel che ricordo in questa serie vi è una specie di lotta per il potere tra QQ e Wolvie all'interno dell'istituto. Del legame ancora non si sa nulla ma dovrebbe cambiare i rapporti almeno tra i due.

spidergiakimo

Brooks è migliorato decisamente  :o
Mi interessa molto questa mini, anche per vedere come se la cava Wood  :ahsisi:

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood - Marie Curie
Ma sopra tutto nel buon vino ho fede,
e credo che sia salvo chi gli crede - Luigi Pulci

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Marcus Brigstocke
God is dead, Marx is dead, and I'm not feeling too great myself. - Woody Allen
Reivindico absolutamente el derecho al vagabundeo, a la aventura, a la utopìa y al romanticismo, porque es la esencia del Che - Ernesto Che Guevara

Mr. Seven

Ottimo primo numero!
Wood se la cava più che bene, con Quentin che tormenta Logan: e se tanto mi da' tanto, immagino che lo scrittore approderà su Wolverine non appena Aaron lascerà la serie.  ;)
Wood su Wolverine, Aaron su Wolverine & the X-Men: equivalente ad un mondo più giusto.
- Oh, al diavolo, non mi interessa una vecchiaia serena. Non è mai stato il nostro stile. Vogliamo essere ricordati nel fiore degli anni. Sei pronto?
- Io sono pronto. Tu?

http://www.dcleaguers.it/forum/mercatino/%28ct%29-vendoscambio-marvel-dc-vertigo-panini-planeta-magic-press/

Azrael

My kingdom for more superhero comics by Brian Wood. Don't get me wrong, I still want all his great independent, creator-owned, non-superhero stuff (since I'm greedy), but the plain fact of the matter is that the superhero world is a better place with Brian Wood writing stories in it. "Wolverine and The X-Men: Alpha & Omega" #1 is a great comic, the kind we need stacks and stacks of.

Taking place not long after the events of Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo's "Wolverine and The X-Men" #1, Wood's story opens on Quentin Quire, pissy as usual and avoiding his PsychWar 101 class, while he watches Wolverine and Armor spar on the lawn. Quire skips his class and instead puts in motion for Wolverine and Armor what appears to be his own video game-like reality, a construct of his own making which seems to assume control of their minds. Trapped in Quire's "reality," Wolverine and Armor are themselves, yet not themselves, while their real bodies lie unconscious on the school lawn. In the alternate reality, the two fight for their lives in a dangerous, somewhat apocalyptic landscape, while Quire fusses about hiding their physical bodies and focusing on maintaining control of his new world and its unwilling inhabitants.

Wood, a great writer skilled in a variety of genres, nicely captures Wolverine and Armor's voices, tweaking them in a subtle way that gives them that nice alternate reality vibe where you can tell that something is not quite right. Wood also nicely handles Quire's voice, one pregnant with narcissism and wonder at his own exceptional feats. Wood manages the difficult here, both allowing Quentin to be the villain who has placed our heroes in jeopardy while also letting us to feel for him and almost side with him, in a way. His pain and acting out is palpable despite his sarcastic defenses, and it's difficult not to admire Quire's sheer talent and power.

The idea itself is intriguing, though we don't get to see too much of Quire's alternate reality except Wolverine and Armor on the run and yelling a lot, but the fact that Wood manages to quickly and convincingly set everything up in a single issue is impressive. In this world of decompressed comics, it could have taken many other writers a number of issues to get where Wood takes us in 20 quick pages. Well aware of the limitations of the miniseries format, Wood he manages to both not waste any time and also tell a story that feels well-paced and not rushed.

My sole complaint about this issue comes down to the last panel, which I fully admit I may be misinterpreting. I won't give it away, but it's unclear exactly what is going on, which is a small failing in and of itself, and if it's what it appears to be, I'm not entirely sure it makes sense, painfully stretching the reader's suspension of disbelief.

With seven artists drawing this story, you'd think it would be a nightmare, but instead, it's inspired. By placing one art team on the Westchester parts of the book and one on the apocalyptic, constructed dimension, the book creates even more depth. It's incredibly smart and serves to highlight everyone's skill set. Roland Boschi and Dan Brown provide great, clean, unfussy work on the Westchester portion of the book. Mark Brooks with Andrew Currie, Jay Leister, Norman Lee and Ronda Pattison create a more detailed and grungier feel for the constructed world, an alternate reality appropriately dark and depressing (as we of course know all futures to be) with funky clothes and "Mad Max" style vehicles.

Overall, this is a great first issue to a promising new miniseries, and perhaps more importantly, the hope that we as readers might be treated to more superhero stories from Wood via Marvel.

4,5 Stelle su 5

Da CBR

Silver Surfer

Sul sito però mi sembra che CBR attribuisca 4,5 stelle su 5.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=4331
Sono comunque contento per Wood che dalla chiusura delle sue testate Vertigo ha bisogno di un rilancio personale (e magari se queste sono le premesse, potrebbe anche essere lui la sorpresa del 2012)
If sacred places are spared the ravages of war... then make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war... then make all people holy.

Azrael

Citazione di: Darkseid il 06 Gennaio 2012, 20:03:35
Sul sito però mi sembra che CBR attribuisca 4,5 stelle su 5.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=4331
Sono comunque contento per Wood che dalla chiusura delle sue testate Vertigo ha bisogno di un rilancio personale (e magari se queste sono le premesse, potrebbe anche essere lui la sorpresa del 2012)

Giusto! Errore mio (Credo) o correzione loro  :ahsisi:

Azrael

Wolverine & The X-Men: Alpha & Omega #4 (Of 5)
Brian Wood (W) Mark Brooks & Roland Boschi (A)
Cover By John Tyler Christopher
• Quentin Totally Loses Control Of The Construct And It All Begins To Break Down And Bleed Into The Real World.
• Rachel Grey Confronts The Berserker Wolverine
• Armor Makes A Decision In The Construct That Could Affect Her Mind And Powers Permanently
32 Pgs./Parental Advisory ...$3.99

Azrael

Preview: Wolverine and the X-Men: Alpha & Omega #2

Silver Surfer

Primo numero parecchio interessante: Wood parte da uno spunto che assomiglia quasi ad un What if, dando a Quentin Quire il ruolo di deus ex-machina, e sviluppa una trama comunque ricca di azione e mistero

I disegni mostrano una certa discontinuità dato che i vari autori si dividono le ambientazioni in cui si svolge la storia. Per i miei gusti meglio Brooks, che ha un tratto apparentemente più dettagliato, ma nel complesso il risultato è gradevole. Ora che Wood ha messo in moto gli eventi, anche soprattutto vista la scena finale, resta la curiosità di sapere come andrà avanti la storia in entrambi i piani narrativi. In generale, una bella partenza che mette in mostra da subito il tocco particolare di un autore come Wood, diverso dai classici canoni supereroistici.
If sacred places are spared the ravages of war... then make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war... then make all people holy.

Azrael

Quentin struggles to stay awake to keep the construct Armor and Wolverine are stuck in in-tact, while Beserker Wolverine awakens.
Can Quentin Quire keep Wolverine and Armor stuck in his construct while trying to stay awake? Whatever happened to Wolverine's body?

The Good
I was a bit curious, with the last issue, to see how this story could be drawn out to 5 issues, and it's starting to become clearer and clearer. This story continues to stay interesting, and the focus is less on Wolverine and Armor being held captive. It's more about Quentin being able to control the world he's created. I'm a big Quentin Quire fan, and I love a good story, especially when written by Brian Wood, that focuses on him because he's a stand-out character that I think deserves a bit more spotlight.

Love the art in the Construct World by Mark Brooks. At times, since more people than Brooks were involved in the construct world art, it was a bit sloppy, but the overall style was very nice, and it reminded me of the first arc of the Jason Aaron. It was bold, crisp, and clear, even if their were some minor consistency issues.

Beserker Wolverine? Yes please! I have no clue why I am excited for the reappearance of this part of Wolverine's persona, but I am. Now that his mind is locked in the world of the construct, Beserker-mode awakens, and he's not happy. Basically, he wants Quentin's head on a pike, and that's a piece of this story I can't wait to see play out.

The Bad
The real world artist was Dan Brown, and I wasn't the biggest fan of it. However, it's insanely more consistent than the Mark Brook and others art in the Construct World. The colors were pretty cool, but the who real world looked like it should have been the dream/construct world. It feels like the art should be flipped for this book.

The Verdict
I'm really enjoying this mini-series thus far. It's exciting to see Quentin be the star of this book because he's an incredibly cool character, although at times he's annoying and whiny, like most teenagers. Although the Construct World art lacked consistency, I still loved it, but I wasn't too into the real world art and I felt like the two should have been switched around. I recommend this series and this issue.

4 su 5

Da CVine

Azrael

The second issue of "Wolverine and the X-Men: Alpha and Omega" (or "W&TX:A&O" as I will call it, to save on keyboard wear) sees Wolverine and Armor attempting to make sense of their constructed reality, while Quentin Quire spends his time trying to make everyone else realize what a fantastic thing he's managed to do. If that doesn't sound like much of a plot, fair enough, but this really is great fun.

For those of us who remember Quire as the dangerously-effective leader of "Riot at Xavier's", his comedown following Schism has perhaps been a little bumpy. But when it's so easy to hate his new incarnation as Omega-Level Brat Without A Cause, it's tough to call that a fault. He just wants to be noticed, and sadly no-one's quite as impressed in his actions as he is -- a feeling that's at once easy to identify with, and yet loathesome.

Wood's contribution to the series seems clearest within the construct, a mish-mash of action movies and video games that recalls some of his fantastic action-oriented content such as "Couriers" and "Supermarket". He also writes a great Quire, and his take on the students of the Jean Grey School seems quite Ellis-influenced, with sharp dialogue and big concepts.

As with the previous issue, art is split between Mark Brooks and Roland Boschi, with the former handling the scenes set in the construct and the latter handling the scenes set in the school. The two styles don't naturally mesh, but this actually helps the artistic split feel like it has a point, separating the two visually. It's perhaps interesting to note that Quire's pride over the details in the construct is reflected by Brooks' artistic approach.

If the story suffers from anything, it's the lack of a clear threat. A story about Quentin Quire vs. Wolverine only has one real victor. Although in the end it will presumably illustrate how and why Quire remains underneath Wolverine's tutelage, you could legitimately ask why this needs to be a five issue series if it's just an elaborate fight scene.

Still, with three more installments to go, there's plenty of time for the stakes to be raised. Even if that doesn't happen, this is still an immediately entertaining read with fantastic art, placing a spotlight on a little-explored character.

4 su 5

Da CBR

Doktor Sleepless

Si può leggere a sè, oppure prosegue le trame della precedente gestione di Aaron?  :mmm:

EDIT:  mi sa che ho confuso le serie.

filo_1993

dopo questa mini wood cosa farà?? lo voglio su una testata regolare  :sisi: