Swamp Thing (USA) di Scott Snyder

Aperto da Azrael, 06 Settembre 2011, 16:46:48

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Peter Parker

Citazione di: Buddy Baker il 07 Settembre 2011, 19:27:35
Lo sapevo che dovevo ordinare 'sta serie e Animal Man  :cry:

Ho pensato la stessa identica cosa... :cry:

Buddy Baker

A me è piaciuto molto, buon ritmo e bel finale; francamente non ho trovato neanche fuoriposto la presenza in qualche pagina di
Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.
che alla fine serviva al nuovo lettore per contestualizzare la presenza di Holland nel DCU e per dare un'idea di chi sia il personaggio

Bravo Snyder, aspetto con curiosità crescente il suo Batman

Post Uniti: 08 Settembre 2011, 10:25:29

Citazione di: Peter Parker il 08 Settembre 2011, 10:22:17
Citazione di: Buddy Baker il 07 Settembre 2011, 19:27:35
Lo sapevo che dovevo ordinare 'sta serie e Animal Man  :cry:

Ho pensato la stessa identica cosa... :cry:

Dopo la lettura del primo numero il rimpianto è aumentato  :cry:

Ex Capitan Marvel, ex edo

Peter Parker

Aspettero, tanto ancora non decido se seguire la DC in italiano o in inglese..aspetto qualche notizia dalla RW!

Selina Kyle

Una mela al giorno...

Azrael

Questa potrebbe essere la prima volta (Se la portano in italia) che compro questa serie  :ahsisi:

INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Murnau

Letto, seguono Spoiler.

Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.

Insomma, è esattamente il fumetto di Swamp Thing che a me non interessa leggere. Peccato, perché il disegnatore è uno dei miei preferiti, fra quelli emersi negli ultimi anni.
Vendo vari Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Frank Miller

Tu non sai che cosa voglia dire sentirli tutti addosso, gli anni, e non capirli più.
                                                                                                                                   La notte, 1961

Non c'è storia più grande della nostra, quella mia e tua. Quella dell'Uomo e della Donna.
                                                                                                                                    Il cielo sopra Berlino, 1987

Mordecai Wayne

Citazione di: Peter Parker il 08 Settembre 2011, 10:26:22
Aspettero, tanto ancora non decido se seguire la DC in italiano o in inglese..aspetto qualche notizia dalla RW!
anche io starò alla finestra ad attendere cosà farà la RW prima di decidere. :ahsisi:
Van Helsing: A moment ago, I stumbled upon a most amazing phenomena. Something so incredible, I mistrust my own judgement.
Look!

Azrael

THE Comic Vine Review by Tony 'G-Man' Guerrero

Swamp Thing returns to the DC Universe. Now that Alec Holland has returned from the dead and was never actually Swamp Thing, Scott Snyder sets an interesting stage for the future of the character as well as integrating him back into the DCU.

Swamp Thing is a character that has had a rich history full of different interpretations. With the likes of Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Mark Millar and Brian K. Vaughan having taken turns writing the character, Scott Snyder joins the list to bring Alec Holland and Swamp Thing back into the DC Universe.
The Good

Despite having his roots (no pun intended) in the actual DCU, Swamp Thing fit in better being published through Vertigo. The stories had a darker tone that were a little too intense for the regular DCU. Since Brightest Day brought Swamp Thing back into the DCU, the big question was could Swampy fit in? From page one, Scott Snyder shows the answer is a big yes.

We see some cameos that almost feel like shameless plugs at other big DC characters but it's a great way to start Swamp Thing in the "New 52." Basically there are some forces at work involving Swamp Thing and the other characters are feeling and seeing some of the effects. This serves to establish that, yes, Swamp Thing is back. It's a great way to reassure us that even though these characters might be going through some changes, this is still the DC Universe. The characters are still the same to their core.

As Alec Holland narrates or gives his inner monologue, Snyder shows off his knowledge of botany and all things plant related. He brings up ideas that you might not normally think of. These little details add to Holland's character and makes him feel more...real. We also get reassurance that past events still happened. Holland is visited by one of the superheroes that put in a cameo to discuss how he is coping with his return. At first it felt as if the character was almost bullying Holland to find out if he knew anything about the the recent natural disturbances. It does serve to keep Holland connected to the heroes even if he insists he now has nothing to do with Swamp Thing.

Of course this isn't an entire issue of Holland trying to live a normal life while sharing his deep knowledge of natural home remedies. There are indeed some dark forces brewing. You have to remember that this is coming from the mind of Scott Snyder. He has a tendency to bring comics to that dark level that keeps you on the edge of your seat. There is a scene that gets a little gruesome but serves as a great indicator of what levels of evil we can expect.
The Bad

I'm a little torn about how big of a role I want Swamp Thing to have in the DCU. Part of the fun will be seeing how far Snyder can bring that character within the confines of this universe. The addition of the superhero cameos felt a little forced in the beginning but you do see the importance in establishing that Swamp Thing is back in the DCU. It's necessary to remind us of the new status quo.

Yanick Paquette does a great job on the art except the jaw on Superman looked a little weird. Other than that, he does a great job and I especially enjoyed the use of shadows when Holland was at a construction site talking to one of the heroes. Paquette also shows us his ability to draw plants and flowers, something he will be doing a lot of in the coming months.
The Verdict

Swamp Thing back in the DC Universe seemed like a strange idea but Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette are making it work. Snyder establishes Holland's character and his depiction fits in perfectly with what you would expect from his first appearance. From the very first page we see that Swamp Thing is part of the DC Universe and also are reassured that the "New 52" hasn't wiped out recent events involving Swamp Thing (in other words, his return in Brightest Day). Alec Holland is separated from Swamp Thing which gives the big question of what direction this title will go. Snyder's use of dark tone quickly establishes that this will not be a bright and cheerful book full of superheroes in tights (or armored suits). There are some creepy forces at work here (in the comic, not the creative team) and it is going to be enjoyable to see just how far into the darkness Snyder can take this series. The series is accessible to new readers. Through Holland's inner monologue, conversation and a tiny flashback, you get the full story of Alec Holland and Swamp Thing. Those that have never read an issue of Swamp Thing will have no problem jumping right in. Snyder has expressed his love for the character numerous times and has big plans for Swamp Thing. There's no telling what he has up his sleeve.

5 Stelle su 5 (Swamp Thing #1)

Da Cvine

Green Hankey

Swamp Thing #1 Review
Alec Holland runs from his legacy.

Okay, I get it now. Scott Snyder isn't a real person. He's some super intelligent, sentient computer where you put in a concept, a few variables and out pops a brilliant story. This is the only explanation that I can muster to wrap my head around his recent, flawless track record. And if that wasn't clear enough for you, I'll state it bluntly: Swamp Thing #1 is fantastic.

I'll be honest with you, my history with Swamp Thing doesn't run as deep as I wish it did. I've read bits and pieces of Alan Moore's seminal run, but that's about it. I know of the character, his origin and some of the trials and tribulations he's been through. Roll credits. That's why I was really excited to crack into Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette's Swamp Thing #1. I wanted to see if it truly felt like an entry point for new readers. Cheerfully, I can report it does.

If you consider yourself a fan of Scott Snyder's writing, then you're probably aware of how he loves to frame his stories through metaphor-heavy narration to give added context to situations. Snyder uses the same approach right from the get-go with Swamp Thing #1, penning a beautiful monologue from the point of view of Alec Holland as he remembers back on his younger days helping out at his father's flower shop. This fantastic monologue is then juxtaposed with haunting images of creatures such as birds, bats and fish dropping dead. It's a fantastic way to start this series that sets a dark tone that never quite dissipates. But then again, this is a Scott Snyder comic, did you expect sunshine and rainbows?

Swamp Thing #1 also presents an intriguing mystery to grab the attention of readers. Alec Holland having the ability to remember the memories of Swamp Thing is a nice spin that should provide plenty of twists and turns for this series down the road. Snyder peppers in just enough in this first issue to have us eating out of his hand.

As much as I loved the story of Swamp Thing #1, I think the real star here is the artwork of Yanick Paquette. I mean, holy crap. Paquette proved himself a great artist with his work on Batman, Inc., but he's taken it to a new level with Swamp Thing. He was born to drawn animals dying and plants uprising. And I mean that in the best, most flattering way possible. Paquette also goes above and beyond with page layouts here in Swamp Thing #1. Nearly every page in this book is worthy of being turned into a poster. For my dollar, Paquette has drawn the most visually pleasing book of the New 52 thus far.

So, Swamp Thing #1 is a book full of win. Just buy it, you won't regret it one bit. Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette have delivered a fantastically written, beautifully drawn opening chapter to usher in Swamp Thing's return to the brave, new DCU. Who's pumped to see where this goes from here? This guy.

9,5 su 10

Da IGN

Swamp Thing #1

DC hasn't exactly given Swampy a smooth transition back to the DC Universe with the dismissible "Brightest Day Aftermath: Search for Swamp Thing." After twenty-plus years of being a Vertigo property, Swamp Thing should have been able to be re-introduced with fanfare and trumpets, especially since he was the one character, time after time, panel after panel, convention after convention, that fans asked about, begged about and collectively willed to return to the DC Universe.

Reboot one universe, insert one Swamp Thing, bring to a boil with stunning art from Yanick Paquette and - voila! – instant jumping on point for one of DC's most beloved characters. Except for one thing: As writer Scott Snyder has alluded to in interviews, there are things below the surface that will pave the way for stories to come. The Len Wein/Bernie Wrightson stories that established the muck monster are still to be considered part and parcel of the character's mythology, as is the Alan Moore stuff, the Rick Veitch stories, the Mark Millar, Brian K. Vaughan and Andy Diggle tales. No story is going to be undone.

This could lead to a tangled mess of roots and twigs, prickers and thorns. Or, as Snyder displays in this issue, it could be the revelations that begin to rebuild the darkest corners of the DC Universe like a tiny seed thumbed into moist topsoil and given proper care, sunshine and plenty of water.

Choosing to dial in on the man behind the muck monster, Snyder gives us an issue that puts Alec Holland right at the heart of the action and leaves Swamp Thing in the background. For now. In doing so, however, Snyder reflects back to the earliest days of "Swamp Thing," giving us a tale not unlike Wein and Wrightson's earliest stories from the first series of the muck monster from 1972. Those early tales featured Swamp Thing shambling through life, trying to figure out who and what he is. Here, Snyder gives us Alec Holland, shambling through a newfound life, trying to figure out why he has returned, especially with the memories of the Green hounding him.

This is an interesting take, investigating the man behind the Swamp Thing, as he reestablishes himself in a universe he has known, but doesn't really know. It's an interesting parallel for the fans of the DC Universe who step into this reboot with the same handicap Holland has: we think we know where we are and who these people are, but we're not quite sure why or where things are supposed to go from here. Memories haunt us, but the promise of new life leads us onward.

Snyder promises a revelatory adventure for Holland and the reader, and wastes no time rooting Holland deep into this new DCU with appearances by Aquaman, Batman, and Superman. Snyder does some additional landscaping around Holland – but not too close, yet – with creepy scenes involving flies and heads unnaturally turning upon torsos. The scene is disturbing and unnerving, but it somehow just feels right in a book titled "Swamp Thing." It has to be seen to be truly appreciated, and Yanick Paquette's art is definitely something to appreciate.

Paquette jams every panel full of detail. I hesitate to refer to them as "panels," but do not have a more descriptive word readily available as each page is a montage of beautifully detailed art. This world around Holland is lush and green, full and deadly. There's a beautifully consolidated rendition of Holland's origin as Swamp Thing, a magnificent and humbling appearance by the Man of Steel, and eerie, frightening, nightmare-inducing pieces that feature the yet-unnamed threat. While I knew what to expect with Snyder writing, I had less defined expectations of Paquette and this first issue absolutely obliterated them.

Nathan Fairbairn's colors bring a lush Kodachrome beauty to the world Alec Holland walks through. Equally, the horrors of the mastodon dig are harshly steeped in disturbing shades of red that deliver uneasiness in massive quantities. Fairbairn and Paquette make a powerful combination on the art of this book, and their efforts are rounded out quite nicely by John J. Hill's lettering delivering rumbling, painful dialog from the plant kingdom's greatest champion.

This isn't a simple done in one, but it is also not a fluffy, drawn-out, slow-motion intro. There are gems here for long-time Swamp Thing fans, nestled with enough suspense and teased information to beckon readers back for more. This is only the second book of the relaunch I have read to this point and, honestly, I'm good right here and declare the reboot a success. I hope the other books have seen the effort put into this title so they know what to aspire to.

Now if we could just do something to hurry up the days in between so I can read the second installment of this brave new Swamp Thing world.

4,5 stelle su 5

Da CBR
I've got new kidneys. I don't like the colour.

Azrael

Ha avuto ottimi riscontri su 3 siti su 3  :ahsisi:

Scott spacca tutto (Tipo Hulk) questo anno  :sisi:

Green Hankey

Idem con American Vampire che ha pure vinto l'Eisner Award.

E manca all'appello Batman #1 ancora  :lolle:
I've got new kidneys. I don't like the colour.

Buddy Baker

Ex Capitan Marvel, ex edo

Jonathan Crane

Citazione di: Peter Parker il 08 Settembre 2011, 10:26:22

Stessa cosa :sisi:
Fondatore e Leader dell'Anti-Minestrone League

Ho rovinato la vita di così tanta gente, non posso mica ricordarmi di tutti!

(Piccola pausa di riflessione. Ritornerò.)

King Mob

Vorrei leggerlo.  :sisi:

Quantomeno per farmi un'idea, sia di Snyder che del nuovo Swamp Thing, e per poter giudicare.

E poi, voglio vedere che ha combinato Paquette.  :wub:

Ma quanto tempo ci separa dalla prossima estate?