Batman: The Court of Owls (USA) di Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo

Aperto da Azrael, 30 Agosto 2011, 10:14:53

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Green Hankey

ma non potete dire così della Cloonan   :dowson:
I've got new kidneys. I don't like the colour.

Matches Malone

Non sono male i disegni. Non è Capullo, ma per un numero ci sta. Becky Cloonan poi dovrebbe essere stata la prima donna a disegnare la collana principale di bats.

Selina Kyle

Citazione di: Red Hankey il 06 Agosto 2012, 21:44:43

Povera Becky :dowson:
E' una collaboratrice di lungo corso di Brian Wood, a me piace! E' uno stile diverso su una testata "regina" per un numero, diciamo.

Una mela al giorno...

Azrael

Meno male che è un solo numero  :lolle:
Non poteva essere Nicola Scott la prima donna?????  :wub:
INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Green Hankey

Citazione di: Selina Kyle il 06 Agosto 2012, 21:56:54
Citazione di: Red Hankey il 06 Agosto 2012, 21:44:43

Povera Becky :dowson:
E' una collaboratrice di lungo corso di Brian Wood, a me piace! E' uno stile diverso su una testata "regina" per un numero, diciamo.

grazie gatta, non solo il solo ad apprezzarla allora  :lol:

Tra l'altro l'ha voluta prepotentemente Wesley  :ahsisi:

Post Uniti: 06 Agosto 2012, 22:03:09

Citazione di: Azrael il 06 Agosto 2012, 22:01:49

e quanto vuoi farla disegnare?  :lolle:

Azrael

Citazione di: Red Hankey il 06 Agosto 2012, 22:02:49
Citazione di: Azrael il 06 Agosto 2012, 22:01:49

e quanto vuoi farla disegnare?  :lolle:

Il più possibile  :batman:
Spero che arrivi prima o poi in qualche collana di Batman  :ahsisi:

Azrael

On paper, it's easy to look at "Batman" #12 and imagine where it would go wrong. After eleven months of Batman fighting the Court of Owls, Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, Becky Cloonan and Andy Clarke take us on a side story re-introducing a character who appeared briefly in an earlier issue of "Batman" and give us her story. Instead of feeling out of place or too different to match the rest of this year of "Batman," though, what we get is a genuinely pleasing detour that gives a strong focus on a character who will presumably be important in the months ahead.

"Batman" #12 tells the story of Harper Row, a young woman who lives with her brother Cullen and works on Gotham's electrical grid. The issue opens in the same place that we saw her a few months ago; deep in the sewers of the city, where the power lines run. Snyder tells the majority of the story with Cloonan, the pair moving through Harper's (and to a lesser extent Cullen's) life, showing us someone who lives in a rundown and poor neighborhood of Gotham. As her life starts intersecting with both Batman and the Wayne Foundation, Snyder lets readers see just what makes her tick and pushes her forward.

It's a traditional method of entry for a new character and it works here, in no small part because Harper's personality is so strong. Harper Row is in the same school of characters like Sasha Bordeaux or Tim Drake, in that right from their first story they demand your attention but also don't take away from the main character of Batman. While she's strong, she also doesn't exist in a world without Batman; he's the main function for her to enter the story, and her interactions and her plans for the future make her a supporting character to keep an eye on. I feel like she's going to fit in just fine.

Cloonan draws the bulk of the issue and her art is great as always. While it's different than Capullo's, bringing her on for this issue is a smart move. "Batman" #12 is told from Harper's perspective rather than Batman's, giving us a deliberate rotation of viewpoint through this artistic shift. Cloonan's storytelling is excellent; the opening scene in the Row's apartment uses a lot of tight close-ups of Harper's and Cullen's faces and torsos, but at no point does it ever feel like talking heads. There's movement, there's emotion being conveyed and Cloonan knows when to pull back a bit and when to zoom in. I also appreciated that while Harper and Cullen clearly look like brother and sister, it's a matter of Cloonan taking the time to have this happen instead of an "everyone looks the same" problem. Even a moment as simple as Harper stealing desserts from the banquet is drawn well; the foods are distinct and different and the over-the-head view looks effortless rather than difficult to pull off.

Instead of there being a separate back-up story this month, it's integrated fully into the issue, with co-writer Tynion and artist Clarke jumping in alongside Snyder for the last seven pages. There's a distinct moment for that shift too, with Harper and Batman meeting again but this time having a direct interaction. In terms of writing, the transition is smooth (I wouldn't have guessed Tynion was present if it wasn't for the credits page). The art is noticeably different than Cloonan's, but at the same time Clarke's art is always a pleasure to see, with its hair-thin lines and carefully detailed appearance. He's not necessarily the artist I'd have chosen for the additional pages -- only because of the distinct artistic shift between Cloonan and Clarke -- but he's still so good that it ultimately works just fine.

"Batman" #12 is a strong wrap-up for the first year of the re-launched title. It's been one of the best "New 52" series for DC Comics, and it's nice to see that strength continuing from one month to the next. As much as I've liked Capullo on board "Batman" the previous 11 months, any time Snyder and Cloonan can work together again is just fine by me.

4.5/5

CBR

Dean Winchester

Gran bella storia mi è piaciuta. Il protagonista qui non è Batman, ma lo avevo già intuito :sisi:

Azrael

What happens when an epic eleven issue story concludes? Scott Snyder fills in the gaps and sets the stage for future stories. Get ready for a different sort of BATMAN story with art by Becky Cloonan and Andy Clarke.
The Good
This is going to be an issue of BATMAN that will catch many off guard. Besides the obvious absence of Greg Capullo's art and the addition of Becky Cloonan and Andy Clarke, we have a BATMAN story that doesn't feature a whole lot of Batman. After the insane (and great) roller coaster ride of the first eleven issues, it can almost be said that Scott Snyder is taking a gamble here. Snyder has shown that he doesn't just write big action stories or twisted and dark tales. There has been times where you can feel the emotions of the characters build up, especially in the final pages of last month's issue. This is a comic that's about the story of the characters involved.

This is an issue I've been waiting for since BATMAN #1. You'll recall the scene where Bruce is giving a speech and we see a mysterious female character present in the same sequence of panels with Jim Gordon, Lincoln March and Leslie Thompkins. Immediately I felt there had to be something about this character. She had to be someone. Snyder teased she'd have a role later. In issue #7 we saw Harper Row in her regular everyday appearance. When issue #10 came out, Snyder revealed that the two were, in fact the same character (you can see more on all this here). The big question is how could this girl go from being all glammed up to more punk appearance she had just a few issues later? This issue explains it all.

Essentially this issue is about finding out who Harper Row is. We meet her and her brother and see that Gotham isn't the glamorous city that we often see Bruce Wayne making appearances at. As with pretty much every city, there is a rougher area. Getting to see life in Gotham from the perspective of the average citizen is a great treat. It's not something we see often and those rare glimpses make Batman's world feel a little more real.

I found myself immediately drawn to Harper's character. She's tough and smart. More importantly, she stands for something. Despite the hardships she's gone through, she still believes in doing the right thing and to her, family is an important factor.

Becky Cloonan's art fits the vibe of the story perfectly. This isn't a Greg Capullo story. Yes we know that guy can draw the hell out of an issue but this story feels like it was written for Cloonan. As the "first female to draw the series," having her work on Harper's story was simply fitting.

The story isn't completely only about Harper. Obviously Batman does appear here. As mentioned, there are some gaps during the first eleven issues and we get to see some events from different angles. Seeing Batman from the 'average person's view' adds a different and welcome feel. What will their interaction be, if any? If you read issue #7, you already know they must have some sort of history.

What will her appearance here mean for the future of the series? Perhaps not much. Snyder teased that she'd have an "important role." I've already seen a couple people suggest she take on an "Oracle" role. Maybe she could take on the role Harold used to have (minus living in the Batcave like a creep). I say, whatever capacity she may serve, all the better for Batman. As awesome as he is, he can't and shouldn't do it all on his own. That was the main point he got out of 'dying' and returning. That's why he formed Batman Incorporated. This is a smart kid and it'd be great to see more of her.

It should be pointed out that the back up doesn't quite have a complete 'back up' feel. The story continues but the final few pages are co-written by James Tynion IV and the art is picked up by Andy Clarke. Clarke and Cloonan clearly have different art styles. The detailed grittiness that Clarke adds makes a great issue even greater.

The Bad
As much as I enjoyed seeing both Cloonan's and Clarke's art styles, it always bothers me when there is a distinct difference in the same story. Despite being a back up story, it essentially continues the main one. There's almost a jarring transition between the two styles. Clarke delivers a different sort of detail that fits with the location of where the back up takes place. Also, Clarke drew the partially shaved head more distinctly than Cloonan so it appeared Harper got a buzz between pages.

The Verdict
Scott Snyder shows us he can tell different types of Batman stories. One thing that wasn't mentioned in order to avoid spoilers is the important message here. If nothing else, hopefully a certain sequence of events will open people's eyes.

Harper Row was a character first seen in issue #1. Now we know what her story is and how she seemed to already know Batman when she saved his life in issue #7. Snyder has teased she will be important so it's hard to say if we'll be seeing more of Harper in the future or if her story is complete here. People may be questioning how come Greg Capullo isn't here but Becky Cloonan and Andy Clarke do a great job with their portions of the story. We should all be accepting of change and take advantage of the opportunity to see different interpretations of the characters. Despite being tied in to events from previous issues, this is also one that could be read and enjoyed on its own. It's also an issue you can share with non-BATMAN readers, if you actually know of any. This was another great issue. It stands separately from the Snyder/Capullo issues but definitely will stand out on its own for what it accomplishes.

5/5

CVine

Green Hankey

ma vogliamo dire qualcosa di James Tynion?

Scrittore promettente

Dean Winchester

Piuttosto....

Nessuno s'è mai chiesto...

Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.

Doktor Sleepless

Ho finito The Court of Owls con il #11.
Non ci sono parole per descrivere quello che Snyder ci sta regalando, ogni vignetta è qualcosa di mozzafiatante. Un bellissimo intreccio che investe pure l'annual, creando un affresco perfetto.
Alla fine del decimo numero un po' di perplessità ammetto di averla avuta, la prima cosa che mi è venuta in mente è stata:

ma avendo piena fiducia nel talento di Scotty, il numero successivo non ha minimamente deluso le aspettative.

Ma aldilà di questo,

E' ancora tutto da decidere, questo non finale è stata la cilieginia sulla torta di un'annata stupenda.

Dean Winchester

Doktor Sleepless

Citazione di: Dean Winchester il 09 Agosto 2012, 14:17:03
Sì, ma ancora non è finita :nono:

Lo sospettavo, non a caso ho parlato di "non finale".  :w00t:

Azrael

I already love Harper Row. Snyder fleshes out a character that I truly wish will be a part of the Bat-family for many years to come. It's interesting that Tim Drake receives more than a few mentions in this issue, as Harper's fleeting moment with Batman have a ring of familiarity to them. Becky Cloonan's art brings a much-needed sense of humanity to both the citizens and vigilantes of Gotham City. Her action scenes are viciously efficient, with most taking no more than a single insert panel. My only complaint is the artistic switch with Andy Clarke. It feels like an attempt to make a stylistic connection with Harper's first appearance, pre-New 52. But it's jarring and unnecessary. A hiccup in an otherwise great issue.

9/10

Newsarama