Flashpoint Beyond (USA) di Geoff Johns, Jeremy Adams & Tim Sheridan

Aperto da Man of Steel, 14 Gennaio 2022, 20:10:01

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Man of Steel

Citazione di: Chocozell il 13 Aprile 2022, 20:27:47Io stasera lo leggo. Se non mi hypo, abuso dei miei poteri e vi banno. Anzi, banno solo MoS, che Bruce è più in alto di me nella gerarchia  :lolle:
You underestimate my powa! :evilgrin:

Considera che è solo il #0, devi usare gli occhi giusti per capire cosa intende fare il writer. :zuzu:

Il DCuniverse è un reame di infinite impossibilità!
We're all searching for enlightenment.
But what is light?
Different for everyone. But everyone looking.

See what we want to see.
No matter how small...or big we are.

Chocozell

Ah, bene. Mi hai smontato l'hype. Così si può dire la qualunque.
Firma.png

Man of Steel

Ehhh, ho solo posticipato il mio inevitabile ban. :dowson:

Comunque io non so cosa aspettarmi da questa mini, per diverse ragioni, Dark Crisis prima su tutte, ovviamente non puoi avere 2 maxi storie con grandi conseguenze una dopo l'altra.
Poi il fatto che volessero pubblicarla tutta subito-subito e poi...beh, il team creativo, non è una storia unica scritta da Geoff, ma ci sono altri 2 co-writers...perchè?

La mia speranza è che Geoff al massimo si tiene in stand-by, getta le basi per qualcosa che si vedrà più in là, magari proprio riportando la vecchia JSA e LOSH (Legion of...4 Worlds???).

Già solo tra il finale di DClock e questo #0 ci sono mille tease su possibili storie future and i can't wait!
But what is light?

See what we want to see.

Man of Steel

Geoff Johns Reveals What Brought Him Back to the World of Flashpoint Beyond and Thomas Wayne's Lethal Batman
CitazioneFlashpoint's world has become a fan favorite, and it's one of John's favorites as well. So when the opportunity to revisit that world came up, he was all-in and knew exactly who would be a perfect fit for this Thomas Wayne story. What Johns didn't want however was to revisit a story that had already been told with Wayne and this universe.

"It was originally Mike Cotton who was the original editor on the book. Andrew Marino is now and he's fantastic, and I've worked with both of them, but Mike came to me and he said that they were talking about revisiting Flashpoint in some way," Johns said. "And I was talking to him and I always loved Eduardo Risso's work, like for my whole career I've always loved it. My whole reading history I've loved it since I read Hundred Bullets. And I told Mike, he asked me if I'd be up for doing something, and I said, well, I'd love to work with Eduardo on something with Thomas Wayne because I'm a huge fan of him and that would be an opportunity for me as a creator. We were fortunate enough that Eduardo was interested and said, yes."

"So that got me on board initially, and then we had lunch with Tim and Jeremy who Mike wanted to bring in to the fold and they were going to work on something, and we ended up just connecting in such a great creative way, talking about all these different things and ideas and an emotional understructure that involved Bruce Wayne and Thomas Wayne, and how to make this not just like revisiting a story that I already told, but going into a next chapter of Thomas Wayne's story and world, but have it connected firmly to the modern-day present DC Universe. Then Risso came on and his artwork's insane. I don't know if you've seen any of it, but it just started with simply Mike asking me if I was interested in revisiting it. And then as soon as Eduardo was involved and then I fell in love with Jeremy and Tim. It just turned into a really fun, cool project and story that we're excited for people to see it," Johns said.

Risso's artwork creates a vivid and at times brutal picture of Thomas' world, especially in the exchanges between Thomas and Barry Allen, including one particular sequence that will definitely have fans talking. That said, it is far from just a story about Thomas Wayne.

"Oh yeah, I love his Barry Allen too. He's got this like buttoned-up old-fashioned Barry Allen look to him, but you can see Eduardo, his work on it is pretty stunning. And again, it's a rare opportunity to work with an artist that you've admired for so long. Once I tapped into the story that we wanted to tell, so it wasn't just a ... I think these things could always feel like, oh, it's a cash grab because we're just doing a sequel to a story people already know, and I didn't want to do that obviously," Johns said. Nobody did, and we had a kernel of an idea and then we wanted to expand on that and it turned into something I think is really special. If you've read issue #0 you know it probably has a few things in there you didn't expect. I think hopefully readers pick it up expecting just simply, oh, it's just a new Thomas Wayne story in the Flashpoint Universe. It's much more than that."

While it isn't solely about Thomas Wayne, he does have a big part to play in Flashpoint Beyond, and throughout the story, fans will clearly see the differences between Thomas and our universe's Bruce Wayne. They'll also see what happens when someone is determined to find a way out of a situation and the places they'll go to make it happen.

"Well, there's something really primal, tragic and violent about who Thomas Wayne is as a character, and I think one of the things that we wanted to remind readers of is that Thomas Wayne is not Bruce Wayne. This is a very, very different Batman. All of us on this call have kids. He's a man who watched his son get shot in front of him. His 10-year-old boy gets shot and die in front of him, and he became Batman to avenge his son, and he did that in a very violent, brutal way when he killed and murdered Joe Chill, which resulted in his wife, Martha, losing her mind. Ultimately he wasn't there for her and she became the joker and then it became even more tragic as we saw in Brian Azzarello's series with Risso, is that ultimately Thomas confronted Martha and it was a horrific end to her," Johns said.

"I guess the look at Thomas Wayne here is that he is not Bruce. He never will be Bruce, even if he wanted to be Bruce, which he's now experienced through first Barry Allen telling him about his son and how he's become Batman and what Batman he is, to Thomas Wayne actually being yanked out of this alternate timeline that existed for but a moment and became this living paradox that was within the DC Universe," Johns said. "And at first trying to get his son to quit being Batman and then I think trying to do things differently, but ultimately Thomas Wayne is Thomas Wayne and that was something that I really felt was important to show in this story. That is that this is a violent, violent man who does things very differently. He's more grounded. That was always the intent when I introduced him in the original Flashpoint is that he's a surgeon. He's very tactile."

"And so Thomas, his story here is now confronted with, well, what if the world can't change? What if this is the life I'm in and I have and what do I do with it? And when we meet him in this issue, his goal is to do nothing but not accept this and try and find out what happened, who did it, why? And that's part of the big mystery that's within story. And there are a lot of clues, every clue and hint and moment in issue zero points to what the truth is. And there are still a lot of cards to turn over. But that's the, I guess, the center of gravity for this story. It's about a very different kind of Batman," Johns said.

In the midst of all of this are clues to the greater mystery and the Divine Continuum, which is being investigated by Batman and a surprising but familiar face. Clues are everywhere, and they aren't just teases either, so if you comb over everything, including this issue, you can find some critical pieces to the larger mystery.

"Yeah. They can find critical pieces here. And also like you look at the Divine Continuum, which there's been a lot of stories about the Multiverse and Parallel Earth and traveling through Dark Multiverses and Omniverse and all this stuff and even Dark Crisis. As you see the Divine Continuum is broken down into two things, space and time, and the Multiverse is space, the Parallel Universe is our space, but there was also I think a wonderful underused concept called Hypertime that Mark Waid introduced and Hypertime is time in time travel," Johns said. "And we're taking a look at that half of the reality and kind of the fabric of what reality is in the Divine Continuum. And we're exploring what time is and what time travel is and what Hypertime is and that stuff is part of this."

"And we felt like we wanted to dive back into these ... it's an event book with DC, and there's a lot of, I think, tropes in these event books, and we wanted to avoid the typical Multiverse answers to the concepts and characters we were playing with," Johns said. "So we do lean into a different aspect with the Time Masters and Hypertime and what time is actually, and how it's different from Parallel Universes and Dark Multiverses and things like that."
https://comicbook.com/dc/news/dc-geoff-johns-reveals-what-brought-him-back-flashpoint-beyond-thomas-wayne-lethal-batman/

But what is light?

See what we want to see.

Man of Steel

Flashpoint Beyond: Why Geoff Johns Wanted to Revisit This Twisted DC Timeline
Citazione11 years after it originally launched, it's safe to say Flashpoint is one of the most important comics in Geoff Johns' vast DC resume. That series not only introduced one of the most twisted incarnations of the DC Universe, it also paved the way for DC's controversial New 52 relaunch. Flashpoint has gone on to inspired a number of DC's live-action and animated projects, from the animated movie Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox to The Flash: Season 3 to the upcoming Flash movie.

With that movie drawing renewed attention to Flashpoint, it's hardly surprising DC would greenlight the sequel, Flashpoint Beyond. But for Johns, there's no point in revisiting Flashpoint without a story worth telling. Now that Flashpoint Beyond #0 has arrived in stores, we finally have some idea of what that story involves.

IGN was able to sit down with Johns recently and dig into the events of issue #0. Read on to learn more about how this sequel builds on the original and why Thomas Wayne's strange journey has only just begun.

Warning: this article contains full spoilers for Flashpoint Beyond #0!

Why Flashpoint Needed a Sequel

The problem with publishing a sequel to Flashpoint is that the original series ended on a pretty definitive note. Flashpoint is created when Barry Allen travels back in time to prevent his mother's murder, an act that winds up causing cascading changes across the DCU (not the least of which being Dr. Thomas Wayne becoming Batman after a young Bruce is murdered by Joe Chill). The series ends with Barry undoing that well-intentioned mistake and (more or less) restoring the regular DC timeline. The only physical remnant of the Flashpoint timeline is a letter Thomas Wayne wrote to his son.

Flashpoint briefly returned in the 2017 Batman/Flash crossover "The Button," allowing Thomas to cross over into the regular DCU just before his world is annihilated for good. That set the stage for this older, more brutal version of Batman to become the main antagonist of Tom King's Batman run. Having seen the pain and misery being Batman causes, Thomas becomes obsessed with convincing his son to give up the cape and cowl. He ultimately fails, of course. Thomas has lately been seen in the pages of Justice League Incarnate, slowly finding redemption alongside other heroes from throughout the DC multiverse.

However, as Flashpoint Beyond kicks off, Thomas is suddenly right back where he started. He now finds himself back in the Flashpoint timeline, trapped in a world ravaged by war and where his son is still dead. Everything he fought for in the original series has been for nothing. That, Johns explains, is the crux of his vision for this sequel.
Art by Eduardo Risso.

"Every one of these stories, I always try to get to the emotion at its core," Johns tells IGN. "With Barry Allen in the original Flashpoint, I think that emotional motivation and storyline was really clear. You could see him struggle with what he had done and trying to preserve it and trying to have everything, but he learned ultimately he couldn't."

Johns continues, "And in much the same way with this, with Flashpoint Beyond, it was looking at it from Thomas Wayne's point of view and his story, what he is struggling with and, again, getting him back to being a Thomas Wayne Batman. He's not a Bruce Wayne Batman. He's never going to be. Even if he wants to be or tries to be, he's just never going to be because that pain and that tragedy within him is too deep."

As established in Flashpoint Beyond #0, Thomas is hellbent on erasing his world all over again, even if he has to shed some blood along the way. To him, this world and its people don't matter, because he doesn't view them as real.

"There'd be no greater pain for him than him thinking he has done something to change the worst tragedy that he could ever imagine, and then ultimately it's thrown back in his face after everything," says Johns. "He knows that it's possible from his point of view to change it and that someone's done this deliberately and now he's going to do whatever he can end to go back. And I love that he says, 'None of this matters. Nothing here matters because it's going to all change anyway,' so it gives him a little bit of free reign."

Naturally, Flashpoint Beyond will also acknowledge the tragic ending of Flashpoint: Batman - Knight of Vengeance. That companion series reveals that Martha Wayne was driven mad and became the Joker after seeing her son murdered. In the final pages of Knight of Vengeance, Thomas manages to break through his wife's madness, revealing his plan to change reality so their son can live instead. Martha is momentarily hopeful, at least until she realizes resurrecting Bruce means dooming him to become Batman. That causes her to snap and commit suicide.

However, Martha's presence is still felt in Flashpoint Beyond. One scene in issue #0 shows Thomas haunted by the memory of his dead wife, who's now the devil on his shoulder as he fights to kill his reality a second time. Johns hints that Martha has a key part to play in this sequel even after her death.

"She's certainly haunting him. He can't ever forget his wife, so her voice is going always be in his head a little bit... She casts a shadow over him, what she's done, and what she did and what have happened to her. Ultimately, it will constantly affect Thomas."

The Mystery of the Clockwork Killer

Thomas Wayne's newfound nihilism has already caused the death of Barry Allen. Batman tracks down Flashpoint's version of Barry in issue #0, who never experienced the accident that transforms him into a speedster. In a scene mirroring a key moment from the original Flashpoint, Batman forces Barry to undergo the Speed Force ritual, only for an Atlantean assassin to sabotage the experiment and cause Barry's death. Clearly, rewriting reality won't be so easy this time around.

Johns confirms that assassin is connected to the Clockwork Killer, the mysterious serial murderer whose identity is one of the central mysteries of Flashpoint Beyond. Whomever they are, they seem to be targeting anyone with the ability to affect the flow of time.

"Somebody else in the story wants to prevent Thomas from changing anything, and that would be the Clockwork Killer," Johns teases. "We find the bodies of [Time Hunters member] Dr. Jeffrey Smith and Matthew Ryder, who in its future would become Waverider. And David Clinton, who is Chronos in our timeline. Abra Kadabra's body is found. There's more to it that Thomas will start to uncover that clearly in issue #1. There's somebody out there killing anyone that's associated with time travel in the DC Universe."

As the title suggests, Flashpoint Beyond #0 is more a Batman-focused prologue story than the true first chapter of the series. A lot will change with Flashpoint Beyond #1, including the creative tam. Whereas issue #0 is a collaboration between Johns and Knight of Vengeance artist Eduardo Risso, the main series is co-written by Johns, Tim Sheridan and Jeremy Adams and drawn by Xermanico. Luckily, Johns made it clear he's still heavily involved in the scripting of each issue.

"Jeremy, Tim, and I get together, we plot every issue together and we break it out, and then we're all jamming on the script and the dialogue," Johns says. "So it's really a collaboration. And I find Tim brings such wonderful heart and emotion to his writing, his characters. His characters are very nuanced and he's always thinking with his heart, which I absolutely love. And Jeremy brings an incredible passion for the DC Universe, a real depth to the DC Universe that reminds me of my own. And his Flash with Wally West has been one of my favorite books to read at DC. So working with two really talented writers, and you put everything up on the board, and for us it was like a mini-writer's room for a TV show like Stargirl."

Rewriting DC's Timeline

As much as Flashpoint Beyond is centered around Thomas Wayne and the mystery of the Clockwork Killer, issue #0 also makes it clear this series will have an impact on the larger DC multiverse. In fact, the Bruce Wayne Batman also appears in this issue, joining forces with Doomsday Clock's Mime and Marionette to make sense of the predicament his father has stumbled into. Johns confirms we'll see Bruce play a recurring role in the series alongside other characters from the regular DC Universe.

"We focus mostly on Thomas, but also a lot of other characters, including Bruce. There's a scene with Bruce and Barry Allen in issue #1 that'll shed some light on exactly what Bruce is up to and maybe why it's so dangerous."

Getting back to the idea of why Flashpoint needed a sequel, Johns hints at the idea that this series is telling a much bigger story than just Thomas Wayne's return to his original timeline. The series is playing with the very idea of time in the DC multiverse.

"A storyline like Flashpoint, personally, I would be disinterested to just be like, 'Oh, I'm just going to go tell a Thomas Wayne story about him fighting some bad guys.' It needs to feel bigger," Johns says. "I think Thomas Wayne Batman is more important than that and his story featuring him needs to be more important than that. So the idea is, yeah, it ties right into the very center of the DC Universe and there's things that this point to that are happening now. There' things that it points to that are going to happen later and I think that's what I loved out of event books. And it doesn't overwhelm the book, but it's got to be a part of it, a deeper part of it."

Johns has done as much as any DC writer to redefine the multiverse concept in the 21st Century, including restoring the multiverse in 2005's Infinite Crisis and establishing Earth-0 as a constantly evolving "metaverse" in Doomsday Clock. With Flashpoint Beyond, Johns' goal is to do the same for the concept of time.

"There's a moment in [issue #0] where we introduce this concept called the Divine Continuum, which is something that I love - the Crisis events and the multiverse events - all that stuff is great, but it's been done a lot and it's taken up a lot of the epic nature of DC," Johns says. "But I think there's more than the multiverse, and if you look at the Divine Continuum, it's broken into two parts, space and time. And space is really the multiverse and the parallel Earths and the Dark Multiverse and the Omniverse and all that stuff, but there is more to it."

Johns continues, "There's a concept that Mark Waid introduced and Grant Morrison played with that I always found fascinating called Hypertime. You have space and time and so as a lot of these events deal with space, Flashpoint and Flashpoint Beyond deal with time and time travel. There was an event after the original Crisis called Legends, and I loved Legends so much because it was a very grounded in character and it took obscure characters and it reintroduced the Suicide Squad way back when and Wally West is the Flash and Blue Beetle and all these great characters, and it really grounded everything in the DC Universe. It made it more emotion-based, and to me that's more interesting than doing just high concept."

Finally, Johns hints that the fallout of Flashpoint Beyond will lead to a new wave of DC titles, some of which will build on this revamped approach to time and time travel.

"There will be books and stories that spin out of this into the greater DC Universe, some of them featuring characters that haven't been at the forefront for quite a while that I'm excited to see," Johns teases. "But it'll do it in a very focused way on this side of history and time. And that's something I've always loved with DC Universe is the vast history of it going back to the '40s with the original to Justice Society and all the way to the future with the Legion of Super Heroes. But it is a storyline that is going to explore hopefully a different facet of the DCU that we haven't seen for a while."
https://www.ign.com/articles/flashpoint-beyond-geoff-johns-interview-batman

Nooo vabbe, ha toccato TUTTE le mie corde giuste, è bellissimo vedere quanto sono ancora in sintonia con questo writer, tipo fancuore, questa volta è GEOFF ad aver quotato me e non viceversa! :lol:
Tipo quando dice:
Jeremy brings an incredible passion for the DC Universe, a real depth to the DC Universe that reminds me of my own. And his Flash with Wally West has been one of my favorite books to read at DC.

Citazione di: Man of Steel il 25 Settembre 2021, 14:31:50una generazione di writers plasmata da Geoff.
:')
Infatti The Flash è una delle mie DC-ongoings preferite del momento! :lol:

Ovviamente Mastro Geoff mi deve stuzzicare con la JSA e LOSH, fucking hell... :dowson:

A quanto pare non sarà così self-contained, ci saranno testate spin-off e proprio come immaginavo, ci sono cose che esploderanno più in là, quindi...Geoff in modalità standby per non fare un torto a Joshua! :D
Il concept del Divine Continuum è una bomba, Geoff è proprio uno dei pochissimi writers che non solo comprende appieno il DC Lore, ma può vantarsi anche di crearne tanti altri, free to forge DC's destiny. :dsi:
Abbiamo giocato col Multiverso (space), è giunto il momento di giocare con l'Hypertime (time). :dyo:

Credendo Vides.
Long Live The Legion!
This time no misguided Bendis will get in the way!
L*
But what is light?

See what we want to see.

Hugostrange70

Intervista davvero interessante  :sisi: e che fa ben sperare per un ritorno che noi tutti attendiamo da tempo. Belle le parole che lui spende nei confronti di Jeremy adams sa quasi di investitura ufficiale  :ahsisi:, Johns  :wub:

Azrael

Letto #0

Che numero pazzesco :o
Johns stuzzica parecchio con questo numero, lo voglio rileggere di nuovo e prendere il resto della mini :asd:
INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Tankorr

E niente, mi ero allontanato dai comics da un po' per assenza di stimoli...ma eccomi qui sull'attenti: Geoff è tornato!

Molto bello questo numero zero, e belli i concetti inseriti, che come al solito mettono ordine dove altri hanno fatto casino.

Thomas qui mi ha ricordato quasi Superboy Prime....pronto a tutto pur di riportare in vita la realtà che gli da speranza.

...ed è pronto a tutto per farlo, anche ad uccidere.

Anche se qui è un atto di estremo altruismo (scomparire per lasciare il posto a Bruce) mentre per SP è gesto di puro egoismo

éala éarendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended

Bruce Wayne

@Tankorr se non l'hai fatto, recupera infinite frontier e Justice League incarnate!  :up:

Tankorr

Grazie! Quelle sono le uniche cose che ho letto nell'ultimo anno, per fortuna ^_^

Adesso però Geoff mi stuzzica con la serie di Flash...vediamo.

Intanto ho recuperato su Comixology (sono in sconto) le serie collaterali di Flashpoint (all'epoca lessi la mini principale e qualche mini collegata, ma non tutto)

éala éarendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended

Azrael

Letto il primo numero

Sono un po' stonato, Bruce
Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.

Ma chi ha
di Thomas?
Bel numero.

Azrael

FLASHPOINT BEYOND #4
Written by GEOFF JOHNS, JEREMY ADAMS, and TIM SHERIDAN
Art by XERMÁNICO
Cover by MITCH GERADS
Variant cover by XERMÁNICO
1:25 variant cover by JIM CHEUNG
1:50 variant cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
$3.99 US | 32 pages | 4 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
ON SALE 8/2/22
Thomas Wayne is quickly closing in on the Clockwork Killer, but his investigation might be impeded by young Dexter Dent and his own vigilante agenda: breaking his mother out of Arkham!

Man of Steel

Letto #1
Gran bel numero, la storia diventa molto interessante e i vari writers sono riusciti a creare dei bei momenti.
Geoff in particolare ha namedroppato un sacco pg e storyline in un paio di splashpages, sono delle chicche/easter-eggs, ma se uno le coglie non può non apprezzare il suo knowledge! :D
Apprezzo tantissime certe trovate, il mondo di Flashpoint cerca veramente di essere differente da quello "canon", e piccole cose come rendere Oswald il butler di Thomas sono idee che mi piacciono un botto! :lol:

Cosa diamine intende fare Bruce? Batman non è il tipo che gioca col tempo in questa maniera, e perchè Geoff continua a stuzzicarmi con la JSA, LOSH, Dr.Manhattan e il SUO Watchmenverse? :dowson:

Questa storia DEVE dar vita a qualcosa di grosso, Flashpoint Beyond è schiacciato tra le maxi-storie di Williamson, in un certo senso fa anche da ponte, but it's very much a Geoff Johns story, riprende i suoi plot-points, le sue storie, cose che potrebbero culiminare in non so cosa, but i'm fucking ready.

I'm fucking ready.
But what is light?

See what we want to see.

Man of Steel

Flashpoint Beyond connects to Dark Crisis through Hypertime

https://www.gamesradar.com/flashpoint-beyond-connects-to-dark-crisis-through-hypertime/

Let's fucking goooooo!!! :dyo: ::dyo: :dyo:
But what is light?

See what we want to see.

Hugostrange70

Mi chiedevo anch'io se le due mini fossero in qualche modo collegate  :sisi: