News:

Sostenete DC Leaguers (scopri come).

Menu principale

Detective Comics (USA) di Tony Daniel

Aperto da Azrael, 30 Agosto 2011, 10:17:34

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Azrael

Batman is caught in a war between Black Mask and another familiar villain. Find out what the future holds for Black Mask.
The Good
There's always been something fascinating about Black Mask. He's not one of the biggest villains in Batman's rogues gallery but he has the potential to rise in the ranks. He apparently died before but I was surprised by his appearance in DETECTIVE COMICS #9. With the history of Roman Sionis and Jeremiah Arkham, the power and pull of the Black Mask makes an intriguing story. We get hints of the existing continuity of the pre-New 52 mixed in with the current stories. I'm not sure how Sionis came back but it does make an interesting story especially considering Arkham is back running the Asylum.

This is where we get to see the follow up to what happened to Sionis. The battle to reclaim his throne among the False Face Society makes this feel like it should be Black Mask's annual and not Batman's. During Black Mask's journey, he finds himself going up against another Batman villain. It's a great rivalry and also makes this other character (I don't want to spoil who it is) more interesting in the New 52.

This story worked out great for an annual. Many of DC's new annuals out this week are simply continuations of this month's titles. This does continue the story of Black Mask from a few months ago but isn't directly tied into it. A reader can easily pick this up and dive into the action without having to worry about what just happened a couple weeks ago. This also adds value to the annual for those that might check it out in the future. We're definitely in the New 52 universe but it has a strong self-contained feel while still tying into the overall mythos of the current Batman stories.

The Bad
This is a Batman annual but he felt more like a peripheral character. That's not necessarily a bad thing but when he does appear, it almost felt like it was a contractual requirement with Batman's lawyer.

I'm still not clear on how Black Mask came back. It's possible I missed something or that this was just another tweak when the New 52 started. It's not a huge deal but more of a nagging question in the back of my mind.

Some of the fighting with Batman felt weird, especially when Batman was fighting a new threat, Mad Bull. I assume his armor suit allows him to take quite a beating. He gets thrown through some wooden supports on a roller coaster and is barely fazed. I prefer the days when Batman didn't take so much physical abuse because he was able to avoid it during fights.

The Verdict
Comic Book annuals should focus on the current story and not tie directly into or continue from the current series. There's needs to be a sense of being self-contained so that readers can read and enjoy the over-sized format. Thankfully this annual does that. There is a tie to Black Mask's previous appearance in DETECTIVE COMICS but this issue can be enjoyed on its own. It also serves to set the groundwork for Black Mask and another Batman villain so there isn't a sense that this is just a story that won't have any impact on the series or character. Batman does give up the spotlight as the focus lies on Black Mask. Let's hope this leads to him having a bigger presence in the New 52. If he survives this annual, that is.

4/5

CVine
INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Buddy Baker

Meglio degli ultimi albi di Daniel, un degno saluto da parte di un autore che dopo numeri di ottimo livello stava andando un po' in calando

Ex Capitan Marvel, ex edo

Murnau

Vendo vari Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Frank Miller

Tu non sai che cosa voglia dire sentirli tutti addosso, gli anni, e non capirli più.
                                                                                                                                   La notte, 1961

Non c'è storia più grande della nostra, quella mia e tua. Quella dell'Uomo e della Donna.
                                                                                                                                    Il cielo sopra Berlino, 1987

Buddy Baker

Ex Capitan Marvel, ex edo

Dean Winchester

Concordo, un gran bel numero, e che disegni fantastici.

Deadpool

Azrael

While Tony S. Daniel is still drawing next month's "Detective Comics" #0, it's "Detective Comics Annual" #1 that concludes his run as the writer of the series. In doing so, he wraps up one of the two dangling threads about villains from his twelve issues, and that's the return of the Black Mask. (The other, the escape of the Joker, will be addressed over in "Batman.")

After getting his mask back during "Night of the Owls," the Black Mask is on a rampage even as Batman tries to figure out where Black Mask has secreted himself. Unfortunately, that's the bulk of the plot right there. There's a thread with the Black Mask trying to go up against Mad Hatter; with Daniel having added a hypnosis power to the Black Mask's mask he tries to draw a parallel with the other hypnotizing member of Batman's rogue's gallery. It never quite comes together, though. It's a lot of preening and boasting but very little actual meat to the story. And while "Detective Comics Annual" #1 boasts a larger page count, I think that's actually part of the problem here. This feels like a story that would have done better told in 20-page chunks; it would have fixed the pacing problem by ensuring some action and plot development in each piece. Instead, freed of that restraint, nothing appears to happen for far too long in this comic.

Romano Molenaar and Pere Perez each pencil half of "Detective Comics Annual" #1 and the end result is just all right. Perez's pencils are the more firm and slick of the pair; nothing's ever out of place when Perez draws a book, and this is no exception. It's a good enough match for Romano Molenaar's pencils, which share that rounded look but aren't quite as cast in stone as Perez's. There's a little more texture to Molenaar's pencils; everyone looks a little less idealized as a result. For a comic with two different main artists, though, there's a strong level of cohesiveness between the pair.

"Detective Comics Annual" #1 ends Daniel's run on the series as writer on a not great note. It's not a failure, but I wouldn't call it a success either. Daniel's had some much stronger stories starring Batman over the years (his love letter to the "Batman: Year One" and "Batman: The Long Halloween" era of the character in "Batman: Life After Death" is probably his best), and it's too bad to see it end at this point. Hopefully with a little time off and a recharge, his next comic as writer/artist will be back up to his regular strength.

2/5

CBR

Dean Winchester

Azrael

Dean Winchester

Azrael

Ultimo numero con Daniel disegnatore  :(

Dean Winchester

I disegni son fantastici. Spero che il prossimo sia all'altezza..

Azrael

Citazione di: Dean Winchester il 30 Agosto 2012, 23:53:03
I disegni son fantastici. Spero che il prossimo sia all'altezza..

Il prossimo ha lo stile di Finch (Fabok)

Dean Winchester

Azrael