Batman: The Court of Owls (USA) di Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo

Aperto da Azrael, 30 Agosto 2011, 10:14:53

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Green Lantern

360 pagine a 20 euro...uhm, quasi quasi potrei prenderlo...

EMC2

Whenever I entered the Speed Force, I knew that I still had an anchor to the real world.

A love like a lightning rod. I could always find my way back to her ..
find my way home ...
so long as our bond wasn't broken

Dude

Azrael

Greg Capullo's Harley Quinn

To be featured in the pages of Batman during Mistah J's return, come October. (This is probably from November's #14, though).

Not even she looks happy. Let that sink in for a moment.

(Source: Greg Capullo's Twitter)
INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Azrael

Here's where it all begins... again.

To be absolutely honest here, Batman #0 should have been the issue that introduced us to the new Batverse. There are actually two stories here, each with their own stars. One, under Snyder's direction, features Bruce coming to terms on what he must become to take down the infestation of crime that has plagued the city he loves. The other, by James Tynion IV, focuses on Jim Gordon, and the young men who would one day don the colors of Robin. Both of these intertwine, even though take place a year apart, leading to an engrossing read.

We all know Batman's origin. It's one of those things we're exposed to as a child. Here, we don't see it from day one, but it's younger Bruce. Hotheaded and out for justice. He's a bit sloppy and understands that he has to up the ante on criminals at large. At this point, Bruce Wayne is the disguise, and the creature of the night lurking inside of him is about to be unleashed. Bruce thinking he should operate as more of an urban legend and not be seen at all is a nice touch. The first part to the story just feels different as well. FCO lightened his color palette and for a moment, Gotham actually seems brighter. Perhaps coincidentally, Capullo's take on the younger Bruce reminds me of Bruce from The Batman animated series. 

Tynion's approach to younger Gordon and how he makes a character out of a piece of Bat-lore, the Bat Signal, is impressive to say the least. But it's his handle on Tim Drake, Dick Grayson and Jason Todd that's the real page-turner; each with their own separate attitude and characteristics that will set them on different paths later on in life. The scene with Tim is possibly one of my favorite moments I've read all year. It's a shame he's not handled like this elsewhere.

Greg Capullo and Jonathan Glapion bring their usual A-game to the fold with some neat action shots. Even with the more subtle moments, like Bruce and Gordon talking on a rooftop, it's never boring. You can still see the intensity in Bruce's eyes and Gordon's calm nature almost leap out at you. Also, FCO giving a younger Gordon the same colors as Richard Lewis gave him back in Batman: Year One is a nice nod. Again, Team Batman molds this world around existing mythos, but still adds their own flavor to the batch. Andy Clarke is back again, and while last issue he was paired with Becky Cloonan, his style feels more at home here with Capullo and Glapion with his crosshatching and rendered linework. While I did find some of Clarke's facial expressions a bit goofy, the rest of his compositions are stellar and adds a certain level of grit to Gotham.

Batman #0 is a great example of how Scott Snyder and company have taken Batman to a whole new level. It's no wonder why it's the top-selling book of the company. There's more to this book aside from it just being Batman-related — it's opening a world that both a new generation and even older fans can enjoy. It's always fun to see where Bruce got all those wonderful toys and witness the man he was before donning the cape and cowl. While September is still early, this is a contender for the book of the month.

9/10

Newsarama

Azrael

Exclusive First Look at the Variant Covers for BATMAN #13

Below, take an exclusive first look at the issue's variant cover by Aaron Kuder!

And the digital combo pack!

And the black and white variant!

Shimamura81

Serie magnifica, non vedo l'ora inizi la nuova storyline

Dean Winchester

Azrael

It's time to visit Gotham City before Bruce Wayne became Batman and wait until you see who he goes up against!
The Good
Many readers of the New 52 are hung up on the 'five year' time frame and not knowing what has or hasn't happened but the beauty of the zero issues DC is putting out is we get to find out what happened before this relaunch started. Batman is one of the few characters that has seen any major changes in the New 52. Pretty much his entire history has remained intact (even if we don't know how it could all fit within five years). When it comes to a zero/origin issue for Batman, one would think there isn't really anything we could learn. If we did think that, we'd be wrong.

I won't spoil who appears smack dab on the second page. We get a familiar face (sort of) with a new take (courtesy of Greg Capullo) that touches upon a classic origin but with minor tweaks that make it absolutely work in these modern comics. I have to admit, I almost got chills every time the name of the...group that appears was mentioned. The scene that plays out makes me wish it was possible for Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo to do a miniseries based on this time period while also doing Batman stories set in the present.

This little visit to the past shows Bruce still attempting to find his way in becoming a crime fighter. That means, this isn't going to be the perfect character that makes no mistakes and is prepared for any situation. In other words, it's highly possible for Bruce to mess up and get in over his head. But of course he will be able to show he is nearly ready to become Batman.

As Bruce lies on the precipice of who he will become, there are still loads of decisions to be made. Seeing how he teeters on the edge of how he plans to proceed in different areas is like discovering the secrets behind a magician's tricks. He's ready to do away with his Bruce Wayne identity even though he doesn't have his Batman one yet. There's also the discussion between Bruce and Alfred which is priceless.

On a personal note, I couldn't be happier to see a mention of Philip Kane. That would make him Bruce's Uncle Philip, a character I've been wondering for years what his true connection to Bruce was and what happened to him. (See article: Why Was Batman Raised by a Butler? for more on Uncle Philip).

Then there's the back up story. As if a great and chilling main story wasn't enough, we get another story by James Tynion IV with art by Andy Clarke. This takes place five years ago and you get to find out quite a bit about the different Robins and how they fit into this five years. It's also interesting to see the difference in Jim Gordon within one year. You won't want to miss this. We need more stories flashing back to this time!

The Bad
The main story is 'to be continued.' Does this mean we'll be seeing the story continued later in a flashback? It's great that the story won't be rushed and we'll get to see more (a complaint I had about the main story in DETECTIVE COMIC #0) but it feels a little weird to have the story end on such a cliffhanger in a zero issue when they're supposed to be self contained.

It's official. We had all the Robins within five years. This issue along with last week's DETECTIVE COMICS #0 and BATMAN AND ROBIN #0 continue to illustrate the problem of the five year timeline. The fact that Damian is ten and Bruce was seen dressed as Batman when he shared his special night with Talia before Damian came along just makes this all a bit of a mess. Also, what about James Jr and Bruce saving him during YEAR ONE? Thankfully the stories are great despite that problem.

The Verdict
Having all our comics interrupted by a zero issue might have seemed like a bad idea but this issue makes you wish it could last for more than a month. We thought we knew all about Bruce's days before becoming a crime fighter in his YEAR ONE days but Scott Snyder manages to give us a story that goes above and beyond what you would expect from this time. The kicker is the situation Bruce puts himself in and who he ends up confronting. Getting an early look at these characters along with Jim Gordon's take makes you hunger for a separate series showing us all the detail from this time. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo continue their winning streak of great issue after great issue. Throw in an amazing back up by James Tynion IV and Andy Clarke, this is the kind of issue Batman fans want.

5/5

CVine

Matches Malone

Jonathan Crane

Chissà che avrà di speciale il volto del Joker, ci stanno marciando sul fatto di non mostrarlo interamente :mmm:
Fondatore e Leader dell'Anti-Minestrone League

Ho rovinato la vita di così tanta gente, non posso mica ricordarmi di tutti!

(Piccola pausa di riflessione. Ritornerò.)

Bruce Wayne

Citazione di: Scarecrow il 13 Settembre 2012, 15:27:09
Chissà che avrà di speciale il volto del Joker, ci stanno marciando sul fatto di non mostrarlo interamente :mmm:
Sarà esattamente uguale a prima.

Best. Gag. Ever. (cit.)

:lolle: :lolle: :lolle: :lolle:

Lillo

probabilmente(anzi,sicuramente) già sarà stato detto...ma quando dovrebbero arrivare questi numeri 0 qui da noi? ^_^

Bruce Wayne

Citazione di: Lillo il 13 Settembre 2012, 15:30:05
probabilmente(anzi,sicuramente) già sarà stato detto...ma quando dovrebbero arrivare questi numeri 0 qui da noi? ^_^
Ho perso il conto delle uscite italiane, ma usciranno esattamente dopo il #12.

Lillo