Menu principale

Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers (USA)

Aperto da Azrael, 29 Luglio 2011, 14:13:06

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Deadpool

Io non so voi, ma dei nuovi Thunderbolts ne conosco solo due  :look:

Azrael

THE Comic Vine Review by Matt Demers

With the Thunderbolts still trapped in the past, what happens when they stand the risk of unraveling time? What will it take to keep history the way it should be?
The Good

I liked how the conclusion of this storyline came to a close in a relatively intelligent way. The T-Bolts couldn't leave London with people knowing of their existence, nor could they dilute the time stream with the "solving" of the Jack the Ripper killings. The way the plot came together was much better than I thought it would be, and I commend Jeff Parker for doing it.

I like the ongoing Valkyrie/Troll connection, and seeing Troll's axe play such a large part in the "search" makes me think that the arc is going to come to a head soon. Hopefully we'll see Cage and the rest of the "good" team catch up with the "bad" team; seeing them try so hard only to fail is getting to be a bit torturous.

I really liked Boomerang's dilemma, and his "role" as Jack the Ripper. It brought things around full circle and involved a character that was quickly becoming a one-trick pony.
The Bad

It looks like the Thunderbolts are going time-hopping again, which is starting to get a bit tiring. It seems like they've been trying to get back home forever, and sending them back to medieval times just seems to be stretching the premise thin.

I don't want this book to turn into "where will they turn up next!?" I think that's wasting some good characters and a good premise.
The Verdict

One time period was interesting. Two was stretching it. Three? I'm hoping that there will be an over-arching point instead of just visiting random periods from the Avengers' past. Eventually, I'd hope that they return to the present and get back to backing up SHIELD and doing a bit of wetwork.

This book is still a "buy" by all means, but after multiple issues of time travel I think it's time for a bit of a refresher. If you can stand the concept, keep buying the book. If not, wait it out until the team is back to the present.

3 Stelle su 5

Da CVine
INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Deadpool

Azrael

Preview: THUNDERBOLTS #168

Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.

Deadpool

Azrael

Azrael

This week's T-Bolts was a welcome break from their jaunt through time. Instead, we get to spend some quality time with Cage.
The Good
Just when I thought I might be dropping this book because of the incessant time-travel storyline, Jeff Parker throws me a curveball and gives me one of the better character pieces I've read recently. I've never really felt for Luke Cage; besides his occasional appearance in Iron Fist I rarely get the feeling that he's changed in the time since being reintroduced to the mainstream Marvel Universe.

This issue changed that.

The whole "Mister Fear" scenario has been dozens of times with Scarecrow and Batman, but for some reason I got the intended effect instead of bushing it off as such. We got a good look into Cage's psyche, and with a killer ending to boot. Definitely enjoyed this issue's planning; it kind of all fell into place with ease.

I especially liked the Ghost segment, in which he shows Cage the supposed consequences to his actions. A lot of callbacks to the recent volume of the book make this a winner.

The Bad
My only real complaint is that this sequence was broken up by a lot of bureaucratic conversations between the remaining team members in this time period, and it all seemed expendable besides the kicker at the end. It dragged the book down from being absolutely amazing; instead, it's mostly amazing.

The Verdict
I don't want this criticism to affect the perception of this book. In my previous reviews, I've spoke of my hopes that Parker will take a break from the current time-jumping arc, and he delivered with this issue.

Like the FEAR ITSELF issues, this is what Thunderbolts is all about: a great character study of people who aren't quite perfect.

4 Stelle su 5

Da CVine

Deadpool

4 su 5 ??? Sono Impressionato  :sisi:

Azrael

"Thunderbolts" right now is a two-pronged title. The main team is still bouncing through time somewhere in the past, while in the present day the staff tries to figure out where their wayward criminals have gone, and how to get them back. Unfortunately, it's the present day half of "Thunderbolts" which isn't half as exciting as the time-traveling part, and that's what is being served up in "Thunderbolts" #168.

Fortunately the present day material isn't bad, it's just not having the same punch as the other storyline. Luke Cage dominates this issue as he tracks down escaped criminals from the prison known as the Raft, while Songbird works with members of the Federal Advisory Committee to Thunderbolts and gives them a piece of her mind on their meddling. It's the latter that provides most of the entertainment this go-round; she points out how their decisions were what destabilized the team above anything else, and it's fun to see Songbird (always a favorite from the original team) get to not just speak her mind but be right as well.

Luke Cage's part of the issue? Well, it's hard to pull off an extended hallucination story, and that's what we get. The lead-up to that scene is OK, but his rounding up B-grade villains isn't as exciting as it might sound, and feels almost like a bit of stalling on some level. And once Cage goes up against Mr. Fear, well, I understand that we're seeing Cage's fears come to life, but it's just not that compelling a story. Cage isn't the reason that I read "Thunderbolts" and I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Matthew Southworth's art is a lot of fun, though. Cage in a cowboy hat is worth a few chuckles, and Songbird has a wonderfully narrow-eyed look that she gives the members of F.A.C.T. as they show up. I'm not used to Southworth drawing superheroes, but they're not bad. More importantly, Jeff Parker gives Southworth some nicely creepy moments in Cage's hallucination (especially the appearance of Ghost) that suits Southworth's style perfectly. The characters all look quite lifelike, and those winter scenes might even make you shiver a bit.

"Thunderbolts" #168 feels like a bit of set-up for later stories, but right now it's not as much fun as what we've been getting with the other half of the cast. Fortunately, I suspect their spotlight is just right back around the corner. Not the best issue to jump in on, although Southworth fans will definitely want to take a look. Still, even a below-average issue of "Thunderbolts" these days isn't a bad comic, and I'll definitely be back for future issues.

3 Stelle su 5

Da CBR

Azrael

Preview: THUNDERBOLTS #168

DARKHAWK25

Finalmente si rivede il Black Knight anche se non è nell'era moderna....................

Azrael

Azrael

With "Thunderbolts" #169, Jeff Parker constructs an elaborate, entertaining story that spans ages and weaves together far-flung legends. The best part is that the whole story can be enjoyed in and of itself. No crossovers. No extenuating back-story. It's just two paragraphs on the recap page and you're ready to enjoy.

Never read "Thunderbolts"? Start now. Parker wraps the story around the reader and fills each character with a unique voice as the story progresses. Masterfully, Parker includes bits and pieces from across the Marvel Universe -- past and present -- and beyond to make the story more tangible, adding depth to the yarn he's weaving. In this case, the bits and pieces include the Black Knight, the bearer of the Ebony Blade, as well as his brothers-in-arms, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Yes, all that in a comic that features seven offbeat villains and former villains. With a list of ingredients like that, Parker is able to fill this comic with action, adventure, drama, humor, mysticism and suspense. And it all works.

Perfectly matched to Parker's narrative concoction is the artwork of Kev Walker. Assisted on inks by Terry Pallot, Walker draws everything from medieval interpretations of Fixer's armaments to horses, rabbits and trees. Walker shows depth in ability and power in execution throughout this issue. His characters show their own specific emotional ranges and body types. Satana is a very different female form from Moonstone and the two are quite removed from the physique of Gunna. The same holds true with the male characters. Walker manages to make distinctions between the Knights of the Round Table while preserving the nobility of King Arthur.

Frank Martin, Jr. is given much to color here, and he capably fills it all in. He takes things a bit off plan, however, by inserting a great deal of orange throughout this issue. That increases the tension of the story or, more appropriately stated, it increases as the story's tension does. With Walker, Pallot and Martin on the visuals, this title is superbly suited to its story. It all comes together to one of the best reads of the week.

Any comic that can throw in an appearance by the medieval Black Knight has my interest, but to throw a line of dialog into the Knight's mouth that recalls the hilarity of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" (one line!) earns my money and my strongest recommendation. You've seen or heard it elsewhere, my comrades in reviewing have said it, and I've said it: read this book. This is the one book that you didn't know you were missing, and shouldn't be.

5 su 5

Da CBR

Deadpool

5 Su 5  :o non me lo sarei aspettato

Azrael

Thunderbolts #172 & #173
Jeff Parker (W) • Declan Shalvey (A)
Covers By Mark Bagley
• It Had To Happen – Thunderbolts V. Thunderbolts!
• Years Ago, In The Wake Of The World's Battle With Onslaught, The Thunderbolts Were Formed To Protect A Planet Devoid Of Heroes – But They Were Villains In Disguise!
• Now, The 'Bolts Of The Modern Day Come Crashing Into Their Earliest Days – And Will Make A Decision That May Destroy The Marvel U – Or Save It! Parts 1 & 2 Of 3!
32 Pgs. (Each)/Rated T+ ...$2.99 (Each)