News:

Sostenete DC Leaguers (scopri come).

Menu principale

The Ray (USA) di J.Gray & J.Palmiotti

Aperto da Azrael, 21 Novembre 2011, 16:11:42

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Green Hankey

I've got new kidneys. I don't like the colour.

Lois Lane

spero che arrivi in italia perchè guardando così velocemente mi attira moltissimo  :sisi:

Azrael

Opening directly into the action, but rife with humor and even a well constructed origin story, Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray, with stunning visuals from Jamal Igle, strike a perfect tone for this young energetic hero in DC's new limited series "The Ray."

In this first issue, Lucien Gates -- a lifeguard accidentally shot with a solar energy "sun gun" and turned into a superher -- explains how he became a superhero, introduces us to his life (including friends, family, and girlfriend) all while saving the world from gigantic telepathic jellyfish. We also get a peek at the big bad for the series, who is unfortunately not nearly as compelling as Lucien.

Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti write a great introductory comic here, giving Lucien Gates a voice that is instantly likeable and relatable. Known for their excellent sense of humor, Gray and Palmiotti are much more than just their jokes, which they exhibit here, also. They also pack in an origin story, the beginnings of a superhero's life of crime-fighting, and set up the big villain (with his own fairly detailed back story) with ease. In the hands of lesser writers, all the narration boxes and exposition might be tiresome, but their writing is so enjoyable that it flows effortlessly. In fact, they wisely address the inherent clumsiness of showing a character's origin story right off the bat by having The Ray essentially break the fourth wall, talking directly to the readers about the fact that it's a necessary evil. By making light of it, they turn the trope on its ear and make it fun again.

Unfortunately, the story stalls out a bit in the last few pages as we're introduced to our villain. When we shift to the villain, the book badly misses the charisma and humor of Lucien and his cast of supporting characters that are so well established in the first two thirds of the book. Additionally, the book takes a decidedly dark and violent turn that feels strangely in conflict with the previous tone of the book. The first 16 pages of this book feel potentially like a 5 star comic, but the last 4 are firmly in 3 star territory and are an unfortunate note to end on.

Judging by the bulk of their work together, Gray and Palmiotti think very visually as writers (no surprise considering Palmiotti's background), and as a result they create a lot of interesting opportunities when working with a great artist. Jamal Igle is just such an artist. His work here, with inks by Rich Perrotta, is flat out fantastic. He is able to capitalize on all the fun Gray and Palmiotti are having with the characters, but he manages it in a way that feels always respectful of the characters, which can be a tough balance to find in comics.

Igle has a particularly wonderful take on The Ray, and Guy Major's stunning colors take this already great looking character right over the top. What Igle and Major end up with is the definition of an iconic superhero, the kind that can give you goose bumps as he heroes his way through the pages. Igle's style reminds me here of a Bryan Hitch/Alan Davis hybrid that still feels wholly his own. The result is nothing short of beautiful. Igle hits all his pacing and storytelling marks with seeming ease, giving readers plenty of character, expression, and the necessary emotional beats above and beyond what most comics are capable of delivering.

"The Ray", with a phenomenal creative team and a solid first issue, promises to be an action packed comedy mini-series full of enthusiasm and energy. It's also one of the most racially diverse DC books I've read in a while now, which is a welcome thing indeed. More of this please, comics!

4 Stelle su 5

Da CBR
INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Azrael

(The cover for THE RAY #3)

With the first of its four issues out this week, THE RAY has been shining light on a classic DC Comics character – with an all-new identity. Lucien Gates is the newest hero to take on the identity of THE RAY, brought to life by co-writers Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray.

YAHOO! VOICES featured a two-part interview with Palmiotti and Gray, where the two discussed the tone of the miniseries, and why it's important to have a character that enjoys the lighter side of superheroism. "If you're interested in superhero comics and looking for something different from the themes that are taking place across the board then this is for you," said Gray. "It's lighter but it's not silly. It's got a joy to it. There's a certain pleasure in it. It carries that old school feeling of, 'It's fun to be a superhero!'" Click here for Part One and Part Two.

In an interview with IGN, Palmiotti emphasized the point, stressing the fun of the series as well as the character's approach to being a superhero. "What we tried to inject into the book is a sense of joy; a sense that he has this power and look at all the cool stuff he can do with it and how it affects his life," said Palmiotti. "We're trying to handle the character in a way that's sort of classic but also contemporary in a positive way. He's a character that always looks at the lighter side of things. He's actually a loving character and has some fun with his powers. I mean, this stuff obviously gets him into trouble, but his outlook is pretty positive. We wanted to do a book that actually showed the joy of having powers."

And given that Lucien Gates is the latest incarnation in a long series of Rays, NEWSARAMA looked at the hero's aesthetic through the years, concluding that "This outfit is sleek and simple but not so simple that it's a big body stocking. Lucien is his own light source, but still has elements of break up that light and provide some contrast. It's a very modern suit but its simplicity and line design makes it seem like some classic superheroes such as Spider-Man (which is a good thing)."

Da Source

Azrael

Co-writers Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray on THE RAY

A four-issue miniseries that debuted on Wednesday, THE RAY is an all-new identity for a classic DC Comics character – and a whole new life for Lucien Gates, the happy-go-lucky lifeguard transformed into a human ray of light by a military "sun gun." As a hero, Lucien's fine when faced with giant jellyfish – but he really starts to sweat when confronted by his disgruntled girlfriend. There's action, there's comedy – and co-writers Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray shine a light on just why THE RAY is the book to watch.

For readers who may not be familiar with THE RAY, what do we have to know before picking up the first issue?

JP: Not much really, since we approached the book from the point of view that a new reader would be picking it up. We tried to make the character and the situation, supporting cast and overall story as accessible as humanly possible. What you may want to know is that it is a limited series.

JG: Exactly, this is a ground floor entry to a new incarnation of the Ray so you don't need any previous knowledge of the character to read it.

This sounds (and looks) quite a bit different from your work on JONAH HEX and ALL-STAR WESTERN. How do those books compare to THE RAY?

JP: Well, this is a straightforward superhero book that is a bit more fantastic in its premise. We also have only 4 issues to tell a story here, so it gets right to business. Honestly, if you enjoy our work, this should be a no brainer...but if you are new to our superhero work, why not try this first.

JG: One of the differences is the genre with The Ray being more of a wish fulfillment superhero comic in the classical sense with a modern twist. All-Star Western is a gritty period piece, but The Ray is built to be fun and exciting in a completely different way. These characters will seem familiar on some level, maybe even likable in a way that surprises readers.

What can you tell us about Lucien Gates?

JP: He is a good healthy young male with a supportive family and friends and is just getting started in life. He is smart, funny and makes some really big mistakes, like all of us.

JG: He's a fun loving lifeguard who happens to have a very diverse and funny supporting cast. There's a very grounded sense of normalcy to him that stands in contrast to his life as a superhero. He's the kind of guy you'd like to hang out with and root for. And like JP said he makes mistakes, he's very human and very much of his age group in terms of lacking a sophisticated or jaded outlook. That's one of the aspects of the series that we hope people find refreshing.

How is he different from your garden-variety superhero?

JP: Lucien is embracing his superpowers and his new role where a lot of others are devastated by it, or choose to become more darker and brooding characters.

JG: He's so easy going that he takes a lot of it in stride. Waking up one morning and finding out that you can fly at the speed of light would be awesome and that's how he looks at it. Of course being naked all the time takes some getting used to.

What kinds of powers can we expect from a human ray of light?

JP: Just about anything we can come up with that is based on the idea of light, speed and the enigmatic form of energy that it is. Visible light is unlike any other fundamental element: it interacts with our senses and we explore all these things.

What do you love about writing the character?

JP: He is a positive person trying to do his best and I respect and like this idea and character. I can relate to him, which makes him easier to write.

JG: Looking at the world through Lucien's eyes and writing about it is a chance to think outside our own experiences.

OK, the "light" puns are inevitable. What were some of your favorites and did anything end up on the cutting room floor?

JG: We did try to keep the puns to a minimum so that reviewers and the media could have fun with them.

Da Source

Azrael

Preview: The Ray #2

Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.

Lois Lane

Azrael

As the Ray was talking about a rift opening over the Pacific Ocean and the beam of light that gave him his powers, it occurred to me that this title is not unlike the Roger Stern/Tom Lyle "Starman" from the 1980s. Sure, Lucien Gates is a great deal more receptive to and open about his powers than Will Payton ever was, but the ability to manipulate light and change appearance are common enough for my brain to connect the two. That, honestly, is a very good thing. "Starman" had a lot of great character moments and, to this point, so does this iteration of "The Ray."

There's a pseudo-recognition of the fourth wall in this book that is more disturbing than enlightening. I don't mind the narration in dialog boxes, but as Lucien is afloat in the ocean and turns his attention to the reader mid-story and looks out of the panel, it almost loses me. Almost. I know this is comics; you know this is comics, and apparently, Lucien Gates knows we're (at the very least) viewing his story. It's a little "Scrubs" with Lucien filling in for J.D. and a little Grant Morrison-era "Animal Man," except for one very important thing: this book has Jamal Igle on the penciling chores.

Igle's work is nothing short of amazing. Igle draws a building, fills it with people, and then has them all stampede out of it as meticulously as he draws a fight scene between a hero and a school of flying, monstrous stingrays. Igle's attention to detail, mastery of expressions, and dynamic storytelling is a perfect match for this book that is filled with a diverse cast, varied settings, and delightful story. Igle's San Diego sidewalks have bricks, those bricks have details, and the surroundings near those sidewalks are exponentially more detailed. This book is worth reading again and again, even if those re-reads ignore the words and simply study the drawings. Rich Perrotta and Guy Major capably polish up Igle's artwork, wonderfully blending together as a creative team on a comic truly should.

Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray continue to build the world around the Ray, fleshing out his supporting cast and giving them personalities that are deeper than a tweet. Lucien's girlfriend, Chanti, seeks the counsel of Lucien's best friend, Darius, following Lucien's botched attempt to impress Chanti's parents. It's a charming interchange that makes these characters so much more meaningful than the cardboard cutouts that supporting casts are often relegated to be.

The threat found in this issue is less interesting and certainly less intimidating than Lucien finds Chanti's parents to be, but that allows Gray and Palmiotti to truly delve into these characters across the board.

We're halfway through this series and we've seen some fantastic monsters, some brave heroics, and some keen characterization. We haven't seen the hero and villain match wits or face off yet, but that's undoubtedly coming up. Gray and Palmiotti also drop another hint here that we may see a matchup of Rays, but I'm fine with the focus remaining tight on this new Ray. With Gray, Palmiotti and Igle onboard, I'm in for the duration and looking forward to more.

4 su 5

Da CBR

Azrael

Preview: The Ray #3 di 4

Azrael

So far, I've been enjoying "The Ray" limited series, rebooting the character into a Korean-American named Lucien whose biggest problem is dealing with his girlfriend Chanti's parents. Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray's writing style has been a fun, loose tale hearkening back to Jack C. Harris and Christopher J. Priest's time with the previous incarnation of the character, and it's been a lot of fun.

With this issue, Palmiotti and Gray appear to be transitioning into a more straightforward superhero story; in a four-issue limited series, this shift in the third issue is a bit odd. Gone are the chapter titles, which were plentiful in the first issue and appeared briefly in the second. Also missing is a lot of the playfulness we had on display; instead it's a lot more fighting bad guys and attempts to deal with personal life getting forever sidelined by villains appearing. While Palmiotti and Gray do a good job with a typical superhero story (because this issue is still a good read) it's missing a bit of the spark that had set "The Ray" apart from most of the current books at DC.

On the bright side, the events of the first two issues finally start to converge here with the first issue's cliffhanger getting addressed and shown in the larger scheme of things. There is certainly something entertaining about a hero who isn't remotely interested in the super-villain because he needs to try and persuade his girlfriend's parents to like him. If I'd picked up "The Ray" #3 without reading the first two issues, I suspect I would've still been pleased with what I got because it's told in a good manner.

More consistent are Jamal Igle and Rich Perrota, who serve up a smooth, pleasing art style. I like the way they draw the Ray in action; the way he slides around the page makes him feel like a character who really is composed entirely out of light, and considering how few features they have to work with he's surprisingly expressive. The villain himself looks ridiculous but I gather that's exactly the point, considering his background and powers. New comics penciled by Igle are always welcome and "The Ray" is no exception.

"The Ray" #3 is a good comic but I must admit I'm a little sad to see the previous two issues' whimsy set aside. Hopefully it'll return for the conclusion next month, because it definitely set "The Ray" apart from just another superhero comic -- because while it's a good superhero comic, it's great when it goes for the more offbeat style.

3,5 su 5

Da CBR

Azrael

Preview: The Ray #4 di 4

Azrael

"The Ray," #4 by Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti and Jamal Igle draws the superheroic fun to a close, albeit in an odd, uncomfortably padded way. The fourth issue's cover promised an epic battle between the Ray and Thaddeus Filmore ("his greatest enemy") but the fight inside the cover was over before we reached the staples.

The hero of this installment -- and the series -- is, without question, Jamal Igle. Igle's work is so insanely detailed, it's not difficult to imagine how the police car robots would translate to the silver screen. There are plenty of quiet scenes to fill out the issue and Igle jams as much detail into those as he did into the action sequences. Igle brings a level of professionalism to his work rivaled only by his perfectionism. This issue is a wonderful sample of both and also would serve quite nicely as a study guide for any aspiring comic book artist. Everything is present in this issue: talking heads, groovy tech, energy blasts, architecture, fistfights, kissing characters, weapons, crowd scenes and so much more. Igle continues to impress with his work and this issue is no exception.

As I sat down to write this review, I found myself leaning towards a less favorable assessment of this chapter. Then I thought about it. Gray and Palmiotti gave us everything that comic book fans want to see: character development, epic battles, quiet moments for the titular character, interactions with his supporting cast and a tease towards what comes next. Why then does this conclusion feel so uncomfortable?

I can only surmise the uneasiness stems from the fact that, quite unlike the comic "standard," this issue doesn't drag the fight out until the end, conveniently wrapping the battle and all unrelated subplots at the same time. Instead, Gray and Palmiotti give Lucien Gates a chance to find some balance between superheroing and living his personal life. It's fun to see Lucien get another chance at making a first impression with Chanti's parents. The movie premiere the couple attends added to their relationship in a manner much like we'd see on a sitcom. There's even another threat calling for the Ray to spring into action. It's quickly dealt with, which nicely illustrates the Ray's intent to continue on with the hero gig.

Additionally, the final page leaves the door open for further adventures of the Ray and it might even lead to exploits with other heroes. That final scene feels a whole lot like the end of a movie starring some of DC's marvelous competition, but it also adds a new layer to the DC universe. I'm looking forward to more from this character and I hold out hope for more of "The Ray" by this creative team.

4 su 5

Da CBR