News:

Sostenete DC Leaguers (scopri come).

Menu principale

Capitan America (USA) di Ed Brubaker, AA.VV

Aperto da Azrael, 22 Ottobre 2010, 18:43:42

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Azrael

PREVIEW: CAPTAIN AMERICA & BLACK WIDOW #638

Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.

INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Azrael

It's been eight years since Ed Brubaker started his run on Captain America, and the writer has pretty much done it all with the character. Here, for his final issue, Brubaker has Steve Rogers talking with the '50's Cap, William Burnside. It's fitting, given the amount of the character's background Brubaker was able to work into the stories over the years. Cap details the high points in the history of the men who carried the shield and what this meant to the world and Steve Rogers. This wasn't a book about a man, out of time, cracking skulls. Brubaker shows, especially with Issue #19, that Captain America is one of the great American symbols and completely irreplaceable both for comics and modern American mythology.

10/10

Newsarama

Robin

:w00t:

10/10 .... Bene!!! Non leggo altro, voglio seguirlo con le uscite italiane.
Speravo e spero che sia un finale degno di un ciclo x me memorabile (ovvio, con alti e bassi nella sua gestione)

Mr. Seven

Captain America #19:
E alla fine, ho ritrovato il Bru che ho tanto amato sulle pagine del suo Cap.
Degno finale per una run che, nel bene e nel male, tra alti e bassi, è stata senza dubbio memorabile.  :)
- Oh, al diavolo, non mi interessa una vecchiaia serena. Non è mai stato il nostro stile. Vogliamo essere ricordati nel fiore degli anni. Sei pronto?
- Io sono pronto. Tu?

http://www.dcleaguers.it/forum/mercatino/%28ct%29-vendoscambio-marvel-dc-vertigo-panini-planeta-magic-press/

Robin

l'hai letto quindi? so/sarei contento se veramente finisce bene il suo ciclo

Mr. Seven

E' un episodio autoconclusivo, molto più vicino alla serie precedente che a quella attuale.
E poi è ancora più bello per via di Epting, il che rende tutto ancora più nostalgico.  ;)
- Oh, al diavolo, non mi interessa una vecchiaia serena. Non è mai stato il nostro stile. Vogliamo essere ricordati nel fiore degli anni. Sei pronto?
- Io sono pronto. Tu?

http://www.dcleaguers.it/forum/mercatino/%28ct%29-vendoscambio-marvel-dc-vertigo-panini-planeta-magic-press/

Clod

autoconclusivo?
ottimo, così lo riprendo da lì

We are called Cybermen. We were exactly like you once, but our cybernetic scientists realised that our race was getting weak. Our lifespan was getting shorter, so our scientists and doctors devised spare parts for our bodies until we could be almost completely replaced. Our brains are just like yours, except that certain weaknesses have been removed. Weaknesses like... emotions, pain. You will become like us. You will be upgraded.

Robin

:clap: ...ottimo: autoconclusivo, Epting e si collega alla serie precedente
non vedo l'ora di leggerlo, solo mi sa che mi tocca aspettare circa 10-12 mesi

Green Lantern

Deadpool

Citazione di: x-joey il 26 Ottobre 2012, 16:16:02
Captain America #19:
E alla fine, ho ritrovato il Bru che ho tanto amato sulle pagine del suo Cap.
Degno finale per una run che, nel bene e nel male, tra alti e bassi, è stata senza dubbio memorabile.  :)
Ah come sono contento  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Azrael

Captain America and two Black Widows battle to escape a wasteland dimension and catch multiverse Kingpin Kashmir Vennema in "Captain America and Black Widow" #638 by Cullen Bunn and Francesco Francavilla.

Bunn's story still hums along, but this issue feels like the slightly less exciting (but necessary) middle installment that leads to the next great reveal. Bunn does some interesting work exploring multiverse Kingpin Kashmir Vennema and all her alternate selves that work for her. It's a fascinating conceit and Bunn handles it with a subtlety that makes it all the more interesting. His two Natashas are intriguing as well, as he explores what makes them different and what makes them the same. Watching them spar with each other is something I could read for pages and pages. Captain America gets the bulk of the fighting time in this issue as he takes on some fantastic "drones" that are a visual treat thanks to artist Francesco Francavilla.

Francavilla's art continues to be a dark and evocative look that is well suited to this spy-heavy superhero tale. Francavilla particularly excels at a gorgeously painted action scene between Captain America, (and to a lesser degree) Black Widow and some Hydra-like drones that recall the greatest of Sci-Fi B-Movies minus the bad special effects. The action is effortless and captivating. As usual with Francavilla's work, his bold color choices do much of the heavy lifting. There are places, like a scene with the Kashmir Vennemas early on, where his work looks a bit rushed and slightly too thin on detail, and others where his colors are not able to push the panels to a higher level. However, it's still a beautiful issue both engaging and impeccably executed from a storytelling perspective.

Bunn and Francavilla have proved to be an excellent match up for this spy tale, and one can't help but wish to see more of them -- perhaps even on a horror book, as their noir-ish collaboration would lend itself beautifully to an even darker story. Regardless, I'll be sad when this arc is done and Natasha exits the book. In the meantime, I'm excited to see where they're going to lead us in the concluding chapters, and I sincerely hope for a Natasha vs. Natasha knock-down-drag-out.

4/5

CBR

Azrael

I've greatly enjoyed Cullen Bunn and Francesco Francavilla's "Captain America and Black Widow" story arc with its superhero-meets-spy meets time travel vibe. Issue #639 stumbles a bit with some lack of clarity in the storytelling, but the ending has a great twist that largely redeems the confusion in the book, and it nicely sets up the arc's final issue.

Bunn has juggled Captain America, two Black Widows, countless Kashmir Vennemas and a series of alternate reality guest stars with ease until now. In this issue, it catches up with him and becomes a little confusing. There are just too many characters on the scene, plus alternate dimensions and techno babble that makes everything a bit murkier than is ideal.

Francesco Francavilla's style is one I appreciate and find both emotionally resonant and beautiful, but there are places in this issue where it feels a bit rushed and unfinished. A panel where Natasha is missing a nose, a random odd Cap facial expression, some coloring slightly too loose, and too little background detail in too many panels. It's still a great tonal fit for this kind of story and there are really beautiful and fun things throughout (like a double page spread portraying other worlds that speak volumes in only a sliver of one panel).

The biggest stumbling block in the book however is simply the lack of clarity in the writing and the art in one section toward the end. After three reads, I still wasn't entirely sure I got what Bunn and Francavilla were going for. It wasn't enough of a problem to ruin the book, but it did throw me and despite liking the rest of the issue, I have to take off points when there's a lack of storytelling clarity at that level.

Seeing Bunn and Francavilla cut loose with the spy noir vibe on this book makes me wish we could have something like this more regularly. While this issue has not been the strongest of the run, a book like this with either noir or even horror elements with creators like this at the helm would be a great and unusual addition to Marvel's slate.

3/5

CBR

Azrael

PREVIEW: CAPTAIN AMERICA AND BLACK WIDOW #640