News:

Sostenete DC Leaguers (scopri come).

Menu principale

Hawk and Dove + Blue Beetle + Statick Shock (USA)

Aperto da Azrael, 02 Settembre 2011, 12:35:27

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Azrael

Preview: BLUE BEETLE #0

Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.

INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Azrael

BLUE BEETLE #15
Written by TONY BEDARD
Art and cover by IG GUARA and J.P. MAYER
On sale DECEMBER 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• Blue Beetle is stuck in outer space, deep inside Reach Territory. That shouldn't be a problem, right?
• Will Jaime be pulled into the war between the Reach and...Lady Styx?!

Azrael

Where did the scarab come from? How was it created?
The Good
I like that while Jaime Reyes is the Blue Beetle, the whole issue is the story of how Khaji-Da came into being. I really didn't know what to expect out of this issue, since I've been on-again, off-again on this BLUE BEETLE volume. I had little expectations, but I was overall, very happy with what I read.

BLUE BEETLE 0 reads more of a history lesson than anything else, which works, since that's how it is being presented to Jaime. It's cool to see that Khaji-Da has been on this planet a lot longer than any of us have thought, and I thought the whole story with the Sky Witness was a fantastic backstory. We also catch a glimpse of how the Reach and the Green Lantern Corps have never really seen eye-to-eye, and when I say that, I really mean they hate each other.

What this book does better than a few of the other zero issues I've read is that it's very accessible to new readers. Some of the other zero issues do well at introducing the reader to a character, but they don't really catch the reader up to where the story is now. In the long run, this won't matter, but BLUE BEETLE 0 brings the reader up to speed very well. The issue actually brings the reader up-to-date and thrusts them into the new story. It's a mini-cliffhanger, and it may bring in some new readers.

Ig Guara is on pencils, J.P. Mayer is on inks, and Pete Pantazis is on colors. I like Mayer's inks on this book a lot. They're subtle and don't take away from the pencils of Guara. Mayer's lines are great, especially in detailed areas. You'd be amazed with how thin the ink lines can get.

The Bad
I'm left with one burning question after reading this issue. Does Ted Kord not exist in the New 52? While it's true he possessed the scarab, it never bonded with him. Does this mean the scarab was out of commission and therefore, wasn't aware of Ted Kord or does he just not exist in this universe? Man, it sucks being a Ted Kord fanboy in this era of DC.

The Verdict
This is a very solid zero issue that does a great job at telling the origin story of Khaji-Da. It's engaging and it has the potential to be great for new readers, as long as new readers are willing to pick this book up. I liked how the issue catches readers up to where the current BLUE BEETLE volume leaves off, so new readers can jump right in.

On the down side, I was really hoping for some Ted Kord, and I got nothing, not even a glimpse.

Overall, I really enjoyed this issue and I recommend it.

4/5

CVine

Azrael

While "Blue Beetle" #0 doesn't break stride from the current storyline of this series, it does reveal both the origin of the scarab (designated Khaji-Da) and the scarab's activities prior to fusing with Jaime Reyes. Additionally, Keith Giffen and Tony Bedard are able to loop in Reyes' recent appearances in "Justice League International Annual" #1 as they prep a new storyline and countless potential adventures for Blue Beetle.

A product of "Final Crisis," the Jaime Reyes version of Blue Beetle has a second chance to win readers over with in this volume of "Blue Beetle." DC seems determined to help this character succeed in the hearts and minds of fans, and this issue provides a logical introduction to Jaime and his predicament -- the partnership he forges with Khaji-Da.

Tony Bedard, with a masterful assist from Keith Giffen, tells the story of Khaji-Da, from its formative days as an experimental weapon for the violently oppressive alien Reach Empire to its current status as source of Blue Beetle's powers. Through the narrative of a history lesson told to Jaime by Khaji-Da, Giffen and Bedard even tie in Lady Styx from the popular "52" series and establish her infamous legend in the current DC Universe. Bedard's and Giffen's update to Styx at this point is surely indicative of things to come, providing enough of a tease to build anticipation.

A few Ig Guara and J. P. Mayer drawn collage pages rush through the circumstances of Khaji-Da's most recent adventures to great effect. Those adventures have been more elaborately depicted throughout the pages of the "Blue Beetle" series to this point, but are nicely condensed here for new readers. Highlights of the compacted version include connections to the Green Lanterns and Justice League International, including the encounter with O.M.A.C. that set this story in motion.

Guara's art is as enjoyable as ever. While this issue doesn't focus on Jaime, Guara proves to be very masterful at adapting the scarab tech to a variety of beings and making the Reach-empowered characters strong and sturdy while remaining energetic and vital. The Earthbound Blue Beetle of the Mayan era, Sky Witness, appears similar to Jaime in scarab-powered form, there is certainly no mistaking one for the other. Guara applies distinct subtleties in the characters' physiques and body language to provide the reader with enough cues to tell the two apart, regardless of the text on the page. Guara's character work and storytelling have been a blessing to this series and are wonderfully displayed in this sample offering.

Steeped in the blues, this issue runs a terrible risk of becoming repetitive and dull in hue, but colorist Pete Pantazis drops in some fiery tones every so often to keep the book from being a complete production in cyan and blue. All the same, the printers certainly had to reorder cyan ink after this book ran through the press.

"Blue Beetle" #0 is a great spot to jump in, especially with what looks like a critical arc on the horizon. While this issue is largely a flashback tale of sorts it dips in and out of the story, allowing historical figures relevant to this series to breathe and move throughout the issue. There isn't much from Jaime Reyes in this issue, but all of this leads to the final page which sets up a dire situation for Jaime to try to escape or defeat. I've been enjoying this series since it started. The stories are briskly paced and contribute to a larger narrative, and the upcoming adventure looks to be exciting and fun. There's no mistaking that DC is trying guide this book to hit the same notes that Stan Lee and Steve Ditko sparked with the formative days of Spider-Man. Bedard, Giffen and Guara may not be matching that classic note for note, but the story is as close to that as anything else on the stands right now.

3.5/5

CBR

Azrael

BLUE BEETLE #16
Written by TONY BEDARD
Art by MARCIO TAKARA
Cover by FREDDIE E. WILLIAMS II
On sale JANUARY 23 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • FINAL ISSUE
• This final-issue epic leads into the new DCU series THRESHOLD!
• Blue Beetle is betrayed!
• What is "The Hunted"?
• The secrets of Sky Witness's origin are revealed!

Azrael

Preview: BLUE BEETLE #13

CappuccioRosso

Letto tutto Blue beetle uscito fino ad ora e devo dire che mi piace questa serie i dialoghi fra Jamie e lo scarabeo più di una volta mi hanno strappato un sorriso, mi dispiace aver saputo che il 16 è l'ultimo numero. Una delle scene che mi ha fatto più morire dal ridere è quando combatte contro Bleez  :lolle: :lolle:

Azrael

Preview: Blue Beetle #14

Morfeo

Il fu Morfeo
ehi.. ragazzo.. ricordi quello che ti ho detto sulla terra, ai vecchi tempi.. su ordine e caos e quelle cazzate? L'ordine. Ciarpame.Il caos spazzatura. Erano solo nomi che descrivevano la stessa cosa: il gorgogliare, il vorticare e lo zampillare di protoplasma, illuso che ci sia un senso al mondo.. non c'è nessun senso.. c'è solo carne e morte..
Vi veri Vniversum Vivus Vici

CappuccioRosso

Sono indietro lo so ma Hawk and dove 07 c'è la fusione di Kraven il cacciatore con deathstroke ve ne sieti accorti????
Beh pensavo che nn finisse solo al numero 8, se devo dire la verità i primi 6 numeri mi sono piaciuti vabbè pazienza. 

Azrael

Preview: Blue Beetle #15

CappuccioRosso

Nel 15 di blue beetle il pezzo della stretta di mano è stato fantastico ahahah

Azrael

Preview: Blue Beetle #16

Azrael