News:

Sostenete DC Leaguers (scopri come).

Menu principale

G.I. Combat (USA)

Aperto da Azrael, 01 Maggio 2012, 20:13:57

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Azrael

Preview: G.I. COMBAT #1

Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.

INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Azrael

I wrestled with two questions as I read the newly relaunched G.I. Combat, featuring DC's classic "The War That Time Forgot": Is it J.T. Krul and Ariel Olivetti's fault that they couldn't sell a Michael Bay-style concept as simple as "tanks versus dinosaurs"? Or are we as comic readers simply too jaded to be excited by even concepts as crazy as this?

Ultimately, I still veer towards the former, because with a 14-page lead story, you can't help but think that maybe G.I. Combat needed a little bit more time in the oven than this. Krul starts off with a decent head of steam, showing some boyish bravado between Elliott and Tori, our two men on the ground. Unfortunately, with Ariel Olivetti on art, that hook dissipates pretty quickly — between his colorwork and overmuscled characters producing an uncanny valley effect, his actual storytelling feels pretty dull. And when you can say a splash page of a pterodactyl dive-bombing a military chopper looks dull, that's saying a lot. There's not a lot of movement inherent to Olivetti's pages, no choppers veering or trees shaking on impact, which is bad news, since Krul basically had to trust him with the choreography. Yet that said, Krul can't pawn off all the blame, as he falls victim to stock military movie lines that might be good for recon, but go in one ear and out the other for a reader.

With "The War That Time Forgot" clocking in at only 14 pages, DC had to deliver something to justify that $3.99 price point, so they're trying (again) to relaunch "Unknown Soldier," as well. Now, maybe I'm still smarting over the end of Joshua Dysart's Unknown Soldier, which had a message and a purpose. Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti's Unknown Soldier... does not. Don't get me wrong, if you're into Schwarzenegger-style shoot-em-ups where a bandaged soldier kicks ass and takes names, then you'll be fine here. Me, personally? I've seen it a million times before, and Palmiotti and Gray don't do anything new or even memorable with the character's origins here. Artist Dan Panosian at least makes it look halfway interesting, with his sharp lines evoking shades of masters ranging from Chaykin to Kubert to Miller, but here's the thing — what do people like about war movies? They like the stakes, and they like character development. Gray and Palmiotti's Unknown Soldier is more like a superhero, in the sense that he'll likely never die, and even worse, he'll likely never change.

What's that say about the state of war comics? It's great that DC is trying to keep pushing this genre, despite the numbers saying otherwise. Yet like Sgt. Rock before it, DC isn't trusting the war genre by itself — it's clearly got to have superhero trappings or a sci-fi bent to get readers. And while I don't doubt that dinosaurs wouldn't potentially bump up sales, I'd offer another perspective: storytelling matters. Characters matter. Eric Trautmann and Brandon Jerwa's Shooters is a war comic that, with this kind of marketing presence, probably could show that there's a niche for war comics. But G.I. Combat is going to prove the exact wrong message: that readers don't like war comics. But considering the successes of movies like Saving Private Ryan or The Thin Red Line, I know that that's the wrong conclusion — they just need their war comics to be good.

3 out of 10

Da Newsarama

Azrael

Wave 2 of the New 52 features the return of a DC classic, G.I. Combat featuring The War Time Forgot and Unknown Soldier.
The Good
Since this book is really two different comics, both about war, we're going to split them up. Overall, I actually like the fact the book is split into two different stories. It's a cool idea and let's DC dip more into it's war stories.

The War Time Forgot
Ariel Olivetti is on a DC book! Yes! Olivetti is one of my favorite artists, and it's great to finally see him over at DC, even if he isn't drawing one of the more popular super-heroes. However, you know what he is great at drawing? Pterodactyls! His more realistic art style translates well to this book, which deals with real life, plus some dinosaurs. There's two-page spread of some military personnel shooting down some Pterodactyls that is so awesome. There's actually another two-page spread, at the end of the story as well, and Olivetti's work is the highlight of this story.

The original War Time Forgot takes place during WWII, and I'm very glad the story has been updated and made contemporary. As much as I love WWII, and stories during that time, it's been done to death. Placing this story in more contemporary times makes it more accessible to new readers, and frankly, this story is a ton of fun.

Unknown Solider
Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti are the kings of non-super hero books. They are also great at taking characters I know, but never read up on, and making them easily accessible and interesting to new readers. We get a brief origin to the Unknown Soldier and it's chalk full of action... really awesome action.

Dan Panosian is the artist on the Unknown Soldier story, and it fits the writing style extremely well. It's gritty and a bit chaotic. There's no single panel or page that stands out because all the action in this issue is fantastic. Between both stories, I think Unknown Soldier works a bit better on the page than War Time Forgot since we get a bit more in depth with a single character rather than a whole group.

The Bad
While I really enjoyed the book, it didn't blow me away. I thought that with this creative team, the book would be dynamite, and it's almost there, but I was a tiny bit let down... TINY BIT.

I have a feeling that not many people will pick this up because it's a war book... That's just wrong. It's a great book no matter whether it has super-powered beings in capes in it or not.

The Verdict
I loved this first issue! Two great stories for $3.99! I'm happy to see one of my favorite artists, Ariel Olivetti on a DC book, and I just loved how he drew those Pterodactyls. I really liked they made this a contemporary story and didn't leave it in WWII. Unknown Soldier was also great! I love Gray and Palmiotti's writing and how they handle this darker character. Dan Panosian's art fits the story incredibly well.

On the down side of things, I was a tad let down with the issue. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome, but I expected just a little bit more, and I have a feeling this book may get passed up just because of the genre.

Overall, buy this book. I highly recommend it. It may not be a super-hero book, but don't let that fool you. This is just as strong, if not stronger than many of the DCnU books out.

4 su 5

Da CVine

Green Hankey

letto e tutto sommato è una lettura discreta.
I've got new kidneys. I don't like the colour.

Azrael

"G.I. Combat" #1 reminds me of going to see budget movies with my dad at the movie theater in the museum on the grounds of the Toledo Zoo. On weekend afternoons during the winter they would show "two movies for one low price!" Dad, being a thrifty child of parents who found their own during the Depression knew a deal when he saw one and always made the most of even marginal offerings. If there was one movie we wanted to see, surely adding on a second we had no interest in would still be a great deal!

That said, I've never been a very big fan of war comics. I read them -- heck, I go out of my way to try to like them -- but if push comes to shove the budget always relents for something more "spectacular" and imaginative than war comics that deal with subjects I try to escape from by buying comics. Give me tights and capes or swords and sorcery, or even better yet, mystery, suspense and dinosaurs! The latter selection is exactly what J.T. Krul brings to fourteen pages of "G. I. Combat." During a simple reconnaissance mission, a pair of Airborne soldiers find themselves fighting off a flock of pterodactyls.

Ariel Olivetti's art is simply beautiful. The video chat conversation that opens the issue is every bit as visually inviting as the swooping pterodactyls attacking helicopters. Olivetti's painted style occasionally looks like a video that has been paused, giving the figures a flash-frozen appearance, but the stunning detail makes the slight stiffness easily dismissible. Like Spielberg's "Jurassic Park" dinosaurs, the ones Olivetti puts on the page are alive and interactive, very much a threat and even moreso a stunning revelation. Now if only some of the Airborne squad would have actually recognized the pterodactyls as such before they were grounded.

The second half of "G. I. Combat" #1 turns the spotlight onto the Unknown Soldier. It seems as though Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray are determined to do for the character what they've for Jonah Hex: revitalize the brand. Hex may not be a thriving commercial success, but since Gray and Palmiotti started writing the character, he certainly has received a great deal of critical acclaim.

This chapter introduces the Unknown Soldier and provides enough background for the reader to clearly understand the Soldier's motivation and find their own level of acceptance and interest in that mission. Part Snake Eyes, part Punisher and part Winter Soldier, the Unknown Soldier is brutal and decisive, fighting for his vision of justice just as Hex does.

Dan Panosian merges the styles of Walter Simonson and Rafael Albuquerque to fill the story of the Unknown Soldier with gritty, hard-edged imagery that matches the subject matter ideally. The artist has a wide range of wartime subject matter to draw and does so with confidence. Panosian's style is standard issue comic book art, with linework that serves as a nice contrast to the art Olivetti pours onto the pages of "The War That Time Forgot."

Palmiotti and Gray quickly discard some of the mystery inherent in the Unknown Soldier concept with this first installment, but it doesn't lessen the effectiveness of the Soldier's actions. Clearly it isn't the mystery of the Unknown Soldier we should be focusing on, but rather the results of his actions and the decisions he makes. Like the Punisher, the Unknown Soldier is someone you find yourself cheering for, even if you do not completely support his methods.

"G. I. Combat" is a nice, reinvigorated spin on two of DC's more intriguing war-related concepts. The two tales are as disparate as can be, but are certain to attract audiences so long as there continues to be dinosaurs on the cover. War comics are a hard sell, but DC has worked hard to make sure this title is empowered to sell hard. The dinosaurs drew me in, but the stories delivered here will be bring me back.

3,5 su 5

Da CBR

Azrael

Preview: G. I. Combat #2

Azrael

Featuring the second parts of The War Time Forgot and Unknown Soldier.
The Good
The War Time Forgot
Dinosaurs are awesome! Gar!

But in all seriousness, Ariel Olivetti's artwork on this story is pure amazement. I couldn't ask for anyone better to draw dinosaurs fighting military men. There are 4 beautiful splash pages in this story. The amount of detail is insane all thanks to the color work.

I like the idea that no one knows what's going on and there are no answers in sight. We're thrown right into the action with no explanation. This is a roller coaster ride of awesomeness. This is a super-fun story that will have you smiling the whole way through.

Unknown Soldier
This story is starting to come together. I'm enjoying this issue (of Unknown Soldier) a lot more than the last one. In this issue, the Unknown Solider is fitted with crazy amounts of technology as he becomes a tool for the government. There's a great scene, in this issue, that shows how perfect of a killing machine he can be, as he literally cuts down some drug dealers in Mexico.

The story flows well and leaves off on a very interesting reveal, which essentially changes the game of terrorism. Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti do a great job at recreating the Unknown Soldier world for a new generation of comic book readers.

The Bad
I wish these were two separate comics, and yes, I would still read them both.

The Verdict
I'm so glad DC is sticking with their guns and continuing to offer something more than just super-hero stories to their readers. This book is a great example of taking a classic idea and revamping it for a new generation. Both War Time Forgot and Unknown Soldier are very different stories, but all-in-all, they're war stories at heart that work incredibly well together because they are backed by a fantastic group of writers, artists, and editors.

I highly recommend picking up G.I. Combat. It's a fantastic and fun read.

5 su 5

Da CVine

Azrael

G.I. COMBAT #0
Written by JUSTIN GRAY, JIMMY PALMIOTTI and J.T. KRUL
Art by STAZ JOHNSON and ARIEL OLIVETTI
Cover by VIKTOR KALVACHEV
On sale SEPTEMBER 5 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+
• What exactly was the Unknown Soldier before the experiments that changed him forever?
• The War that Time Forgot claims another casualty in the strangest origin story of them all!

Azrael

Preview: G.I. COMBAT #3

Azrael

Men run from dinosaurs then blow them all to pieces! The Unknown Soldier breaks into a terrorist cell and demands answers!
The Good
Ariel Olivetti does a better job this issue with the art. While sometimes, his art is still a bit rigid and stiff, during the fight scenes he does a much better job at showing movement, something a few (well, a lot) of people in the comment section pointed out last week.

I am really enjoying the War The Time Forgot story on its own. It's like a 90s action film with infinitely better written dialogue by JT Krul. We get a bit of more info about Elliot and where he comes from, and I like that little added scene to break up the overall story of "oh crap, dinosaurs!"

Everything about Unknown Soldier is fantastic. We get bits and pieces about what his "powers" are and get into his mind as he goes into a fort to take down the bad guy. I just love how this book is paced and how it comes together in the end. The final page of this book is a great reveal, and I cannot wait to continue reading this. Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti have me hooked.

The Bad
I feel like the War That Time Forgot story really isn't going anywhere. We're three issues in and all we've really seen is guys fighting dinosaurs, which I love, but we need more than that. I guess the only info this comic gave us was that some dinosaurs don't eat people. This is probably a problem because of page restraints though.

Both of these books clash BIG TIME. They do not work well together in the same book because the tones are so different. War That Time Forgot is fun, while Unknown Solider is incredibly serious and paced very differently than the action filled dino-chase.

The Verdict
I really am loving this book, and I love the fact that there's a solid war title on the shelves with a fantastic creative team. Everything about Unknown Soldier is awesome, and while I really enjoy War That Time Forgot, I feel like the story isn't progressing much. My main concern with the overall book is that the two stories do not work well together.

Overall, I highly recommend this series and issue because it is a fantastic read.

Breakdown

War Time Forgot: 3/5

Unknown Solider: 5/5

Overall: 4/5

Da CVine

Azrael

G.I. COMBAT #5
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Backup story written by JUSTIN GRAY and JIMMY PALMIOTTI
Art by HOWARD CHAYKIN
Backup story art by STAZ JOHNSON
Cover by ALBERTO PONTICELLI and WAYNE FAUCHER
On sale OCTOBER 3 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+
• Jeb Stuart breaks the Haunted Tank out of ARGUS's Black Room!
• Plus: The Unknown Soldier in a race against time to defeat American terrorists on American soil!

Azrael

Preview: G.I. COMBAT #4

Azrael

G.I. COMBAT #6
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Backup story written by JUSTIN GRAY and JIMMY PALMIOTTI
Art by HOWARD CHAYKIN
Backup story art by STAZ JOHNSON
Cover by ALBERTO PONTICELLI and WAYNE FAUCHER
On sale NOVEMBER 7 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+
• Jeb Stuart and the Haunted Tank rescue his grandson, Scott Stuart, and fellow prisoners of war.
• And in the backup story, The Unknown Soldier gears up to take out a group of revolutionary domestic terrorists — and he'll need all the backup he can get against this group of tech-savvy civilians!

Azrael

Azrael

Preview: G.I. COMBAT #0