News:

Sostenete DC Leaguers (scopri come).

Menu principale

Earth 2 (USA) di J.Robinson

Aperto da Azrael, 10 Febbraio 2012, 18:25:15

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Thanos

bello, mi piace  :clap:

lo attendo in ita, speriamo arrivi presto.

nicoman

Potrebbero metterlo sulla JL dopo che finiranno JLI. Credo sarebbe un rimpiazzo adeguato  :ahsisi:

"I hear words but I cannot understand them.
The roar of the fire inside my brain...bloats out everything.
Suddenly I remember a former name. Someone named Jack Moore. Was that me? He never got into figths. Hated violence.
Now violence seems so right. So natural.
For a moment I lose flight. The crazy power diminishes.
I realize I mustn't think. Just act.
Just Kill."

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:IL MIO MERCATINO: cerco graphic novel, vendo new 52. Passate!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Lois Lane

comunque battute a parte, bellissimi disegni  :clap:

Azrael

The one where Alan Scott gets a ring.
There are a lot of spoilers in this review. You've been warned.

The Good
The third issue of EARTH 2 by James Robinson opens up with a bang -- literally. Last we saw Alan Scott he had just been involved in a major train accident, and in CV's review of EARTH 2 issue #2, we discussed how the result of the accident was important in determining whether or not Sam (Alan Scott's boyfriend) was being used as a plot device. We'll get to that in a little bit. Robinson delivers a lot of action right from the get-go, and he deals with Alan Scott and his induction into the Green Lantern Corps immediately. This scene actually works pretty well, in the sense that the only reason Scott survived was due to the fact that he was saved by the GL force. I think this makes sense being that Scott is the only survivor in the crash, and he looks visibly injured and deformed as a result.

We flash forward to the Flash, (no pun intended). Last issue we got a peek at Hawkgirl, and she makes a rather triumphant return in this issue in her scene with Jay Garrick. What a great set of moments this was. I loved her first appearance in this series, and I think she looks and sounds great so far. She's really strong, confident and her snide remarks are all a little bit witty. Not to mention Nicola Scott does an amazing job depicting her character artistically. It's a great scene and a lot of fun to read the interaction between these two characters.

The Bad
Like I mentioned above, the fact that Sam dies is a pretty big deal, and it almost feels as though Robinson is using his character as a plot device. Like Alan Scott can't be a hero or do heroic things without experiencing some tragedy. The worst is that we only just met Sam, so we didn't really have a chance to get to know him and to really see how he influenced Alan Scott's character. Why did Scott love him so much? I would have really liked to have seen the romance between these two characters fleshed out a little bit more.

The Verdict
I feel a bit conflicted over the scenes where Alan Scott becomes the Green Lantern. I think that he didn't mourn enough -- that was my biggest problem. If I had lost the man I was about to propose to in a horrific accident, I don't know if some green mystical force could deter me from being upset or in pain and conflicted. I don't know, because I haven't lived it. But I do think that scene where the GL force introduces itself to Scott did happen a little bit too quickly, and that did bother me. However, the fact that Scott used the ring he was about to propose to Sam with as his power source -- that part was brilliant. It's a symbol of his love for Sam, and the way it was written, and the dialogue in that moment really made up for the rush through in the previous one. I enjoyed. I thought it was a really touching moment. The following moment where he crouches down and pays tribute to Sam was really beautiful. I really hope that Robinson brings Sam up again and uses flashbacks to show how important he was to Alan Scott. If Scott will really fight in honor of Sam's life and death, then the creative team will have to show the readers exactly that. And that's something that remains to be seen.

I love the fact that Solomon Grundy has returned to the DC Universe. I think he's a great, conflicted and interesting villain when written well, and I really enjoyed the internal dialogue of the character as he rose from the ground. It was really interesting and entertaining to see.

Overall though I think there was more I liked about this issue than didn't like.

4 su 5

Da CVine
INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Azrael

"Earth 2" #3 is the sort of book that feels like two different comics have been forcefully grafted together -- and while James Robinson and Nicola Scott are responsible for both halves, one part is distinctly better than the other.

One half of "Earth 2" #3 deals with Alan Scott being given the mantle of Green Lantern after the deadly explosion that killed everyone on board the train he and his fiancé were on. There are parts of it that are a bit cliché (the dead romantic partner being the drive to carry on, the general befuddlement) and we've certainly seen it all before. But as this half of "Earth 2" #3 plays out, I found myself liking where it was going. The power of the "Earth 2" Green Lantern is from a very different source than we've had in the DC Universe before and it's a fun twist on an idea that's bounced around the company for years. Robinson also brings back an old foe that we haven't seen since Doug Wheeler first created some two decades ago, and attaches it to a villain that's more associated with Robinson's past comics. It's a clever twist, and one that makes Alan Scott's new arch-enemy not only a better fit, but also makes him much more powerful and dangerous than before.

Nicola Scott handles the scene with the new enemy and its influence with a lot of skill. The withering nature of this foe could feel old hat, but seeing its tendrils (both figuratively and literally) extend across Washington DC is impressive and attention-grabbing, and I like how she handles it. It's got a great touch of horror to those moments, and that's going to be the part of "Earth 2" #3 that people remember above all else.

Unfortunately, that storyline is paired with Jay Garrick (who is still getting the hang of being a superhero, and hasn't yet come up with the name of the Flash) meeting the new Hawkgirl for the first time, and here the book falls flat. The dialogue here feels trite and slightly lame, and as much as I loved Robinson's co-creation of the Kendra Saunders Hawkgirl back in "JSA," the scenes with her and Jay together left me cold. They at least still look somewhat nice visually (the pattern on Hawkgirl's pants is nice, if nothing else), but considering this is the first time two of the members of what will no doubt be the new JSA actually interact, it's not good.

The 2 in the title of "Earth 2" #3 feels especially apt this issue. The two halves of this book aren't working well with one another; hopefully future issues can bridge that divide a bit more soon. For now, this is a comic where its disjointed nature is working against it.

2 su 5

Da CBR

Green Lantern

Bel numero 3. all'inizio ero un pò titubante sulle scelte compiute sui personaggi di questa serie, ma piano piano sta cominciando ad appassionarmi. Certo Alan è un pò sfigato, nel giro di due numeri passa
Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.
e la cosa non viene neanche approfondita più di tanto, non si percepisce molto
, però mi è piaciuto molto come acquisisce i poteri, in pieno rispetto delle origini passate, seppur rivisitate, e molto toccante la scelta del

Belle anche le nuove origini di
, se continua così potrebbe essere una delle serie che seguirò in HC.

Green Hankey

Citazione di: Barry Allen il 09 Luglio 2012, 14:01:57
se continua così potrebbe essere una delle serie che seguirò in HC.

tanto la fanno solo in tp  :lolle:
I've got new kidneys. I don't like the colour.

nicoman

Ho appena letto il #2

"I hear words but I cannot understand them.
The roar of the fire inside my brain...bloats out everything.
Suddenly I remember a former name. Someone named Jack Moore. Was that me? He never got into figths. Hated violence.
Now violence seems so right. So natural.
For a moment I lose flight. The crazy power diminishes.
I realize I mustn't think. Just act.
Just Kill."

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:IL MIO MERCATINO: cerco graphic novel, vendo new 52. Passate!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Nightmist

Citazione di: Metta World Hankey il 09 Luglio 2012, 14:13:16
tanto la fanno solo in tp  :lolle:

meglio, così posso prenderlo in edizione economica senza aspettare una vita  :asd:

La serie tutto sommato mi sta paicendo, però effettivamente alcune cose potevano gestirle meglio,

Paul-Man

Citazione di: Metta World Hankey il 09 Luglio 2012, 14:13:16
Citazione di: Barry Allen il 09 Luglio 2012, 14:01:57
se continua così potrebbe essere una delle serie che seguirò in HC.

tanto la fanno solo in tp  :lolle:

Da qualche parte l'ho già visto in pre-order e, potrei sbagliarmi, ma mi pare proprio in HC!  :sisi:
Tanto prima o poi il TP ci scappa comunque  :asd:

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF SPAM

- Hal Jordan: Cosa stai fecendo, Larfleeze?
- Larfleeze: Cosa sembra stia facendo? Scrivo. Ora vattene Lanterna Verde. Sono molto occupato.
- Hal Jordan: No. Cosa stai facendo qui? Sulla Terra?
- Larfleeze: Ci vivo.
- Hal Jordan: Oh, no. Non mi risulta. Tu vivi in una galassia lontana lontana. E mi piace così.
- Larfleeze: Bè, ora vivo qui e sei sulla mia proprietà. Oh, sì, ne sono sorpreso quanto te, ma ho imparato che su questo pianeta tutti condividono il mio insaziabile desiderio. Ho visto la pubblicità.
- Hal Jordan: Larfleeze, non puoi prendere ciò che vuoi dagli abitanti del posto.
- Larfleeze: Non ne ho bisogno. Ho saputo del porta-doni che risiede nelle vostre terre ghiacciate. Mi darà tutto ciò che desidero a patto che gli mandi la mia lista! So di Babbo Natale!
- Hal Jordan: Mi spiace rovinarti la festa, ma Babbo Natale non esiste.
- Larfleeze: Bah! Credi che sia uno sciocco? Abbiamo montagne di prove a dimostrare il contrario proprio sotto il nostro naso! Poi mi dirai che non esiste il colore verde! Quando incontrerò il ben pasciuto allevatore di renne, avrò tutto ciò che voglio!

Azrael

EARTH 2 #5
Written by JAMES ROBINSON
Art by NICOLA SCOTT and TREVOR SCOTT
Cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
1:25 B&W Variant cover by IVAN REIS
On sale OCTOBER 3 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• It's the final showdown with GRUNDY!
• The Green Lantern, Hawkgirl and The Flash take on Grundy and the military's hero, The Atom!
• The Green Lantern makes a choice that will change the course of Earth 2 forever!

Green Lantern

Azrael

Perhaps even more so than current DC proper, James Robinson and Nicola Scott have a harder road to travel. They have the tricky task of creating something long time readers will recognize, while making the world feel fresh in Earth 2. And, unlike their counterparts, they don't have 52 titles with which they may do so. They just get one, which might explain why Issue #3 is packed with bits of potential, while never once hitting the mark.

Earth 2 #3 picks up seconds after the fiery train crash that left the now-gay Alan Scott a single man again. Making his engagement to his partner one of the shortest in comic book history, and to be perfectly frank, that annoyed the heck out of me. DC made a big deal out of something that, honestly, shouldn't be a big deal anymore. But, they did, so to rather callously use Alan Scott's partner as a tragic catalyst for heroism is weak. Real weak. Yes, I know such has been the trope with women in comics for decades, and that ain't right either. I guess I was hoping for more from Robinson, someone whom I know can write honest relationships within the confines of capes and cowls, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Just as Alan's rather fast acceptance of lovers passing feels stilted, so too does the introduction of Hawkgirl and the Flash. However, there is a level of confusion from both characters that reads as honest and rewarding. This new Flash is still wholly untried and uncomfortable with his abilities. While Hawkgirl is clearly overcompensating with her knowledge of the superhero business. It makes for a fun dynamic to overlay the rather cliched "allies always have to fight before becoming friends" moment in the issue.

As was the case in Issues #2 and #3, the strongest element to Earth 2 #3 is penciler Nicola Scott. I am fairly certain she could pencil insurance claim forms and I would enjoy the work. Although Scott rarely works outside or breaks the traditional rules of visual storytelling, her understanding of the medium makes her work stand out.

All the heroic characters in Earth 2 have an almost mythic look to them, and yet never once do they stray into the realm of outlandish. Sure, Green Lantern stands as physical perfection, but under Scott's pencils, that perfection almost feels attainable. The small encounter between the Flash and Hawkgirl has a good scene of energy and movement. Scott's lines suggest this is merely a test match, a sparring round, rather than a knock-out, end-all battle. It's a subtle little trick, but one that goes farther in suggesting the mood between these two characters than Robinson's dialogue.

Inker Trevor Scott and colorists Alex Sinclair and Pete Pantazis were a little too heavy and haphazard in this issue. Much of Nicola's line work gets lost in a sea of heavy blacks. I know heavy shadowing helps convey mood and emotion, but in this case, it was simply too much. Much of the coloring also feels muted, taking away much of the definition from the characters and their setting. Interestingly, (and going against traditional style) both the inker and colorists up their detail when introducing this new "grey" villain and really help to sell him visually. Now if only the same attention can come through when Issue #4 drops, we'll have a darn near perfect-looking comic.

For all my frustration with Earth 2 #3, it's still a title I'm really excited about. This reads like an honest take on classic characters, unlike much of the New 52. It just feels like it's all happening a little too fast and coincidentally for my tastes. In a way, Robinson is building a team in the classic Golden Age style, but is hampered by modern sensibilities. We want fast pacing, but not at the cost of development. This is where Earth 2 trips the hardest. If Robinson ever finds that balance, then he and Nicola Scott are going to have one heck of a book on their hands. It just ain't there yet.

6 su 10

Da Newsarama

Azrael

Preview: EARTH 2 #4

Thanos

questo personaggio mi lascia perplesso...