News:

Sostenete DC Leaguers (scopri come).

Menu principale

Aquaman (USA) di Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis

Aperto da Azrael, 30 Agosto 2011, 12:03:14

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Azrael

Despite a few missteps in earlier issues, it feels like Geoff Johns has really found his purpose in the last few installments of Aquaman. The current arc, entitled "The Others," is an example of Johns' ability to create rich history for his characters, write some exciting action scenes, and give his characters cool moments to display their abilities. While the story starts out slow, it quickly finds its pacing and in the end, becomes one of the best issues of the new series.

Initially, I wasn't too impressed with the comic. The opening page is six panels long, but could have been condensed into three. The first few pages are like this; Johns is attempting to be methodical in his storytelling, but these panels feel wasted as they don't have a lot to do with the rest of the issue. Prisoner of War, the hero introduced in issue #7, has the ability to call upon the fallen soldiers of his unit. So if he needs a medic, he can summon a medic to heal him. I think he's calling the families of these dead soldiers in these opening moments, but it's hard to tell. Johns leaves it up to the reader to infer.

But when Black Manta shows up, things get interesting and the rest of the issue a mixture of action and story split between Prisoner of War trying to get away from Manta, Arthur and Ya'wara fighting with rebels after finding the body of the Seer in the Amazon, and Mera's conversation with Dr. Shin, the man who has a mysterious connection to Aquaman. A lot of intriguing set-up occurs here, and readers are given a lot of answers to Arthur's past. The revelation at the end of the issue is a great piece of canon alteration, and one that adds an additional layer to the long history between Aquaman and Black Manta.

As a fan of Ivan Reis, I always enjoy his art, but this issue in particular had some pretty impressive moments. When Prisoner of War uses his powers, the image of soldiers swirl around him like a mist. Combined with Rod Reis' colors and the inks of Joe Prado, Oclair Albert and Andy Lanning, the ghostly designs are eerie and impressive.

But beyond that, Ivan Reis' Black Manta is simply awesome to look at. Black Manta's helmet has to be one of the silliest designs on any character, but Reis makes it look ferocious and imposing. In fact the entire outfit makes Black Manta a formidable opponent. The final page of the issue in particular — with Arthur standing before Manta in the rain and lightning bolts illuminating the sky — makes for a great cliff hanger to the issue, and a cool set-up for the next.

Once Johns got the introductory stories out of the way, I feel like the issues have really found their feet. Johns' writing is stronger now, and after developing the characters, he's free to create his own mythos. If his work on Flash and Green Lantern are any indication, he's setting up Aquaman to have its own event somewhere in the future, and if his past work can be used as a precursor, we're in for an epic story.

7 su 10

Da Newsarama
INSTAGRAM: AZRAEL'S CAVE

The Batman (2022) - Batcycle 🦇 REEL

The Batman (2022) McFarlane by Jim Lee 🦇 REEL 🦇

Fedele all'Ordine di Saint Dumas e al Pipistrello
Combatteremo le idee con idee migliori

Sawyer88

Ragazzi, niente da dire questa serie è scritta molto bene e disegnata meglio! Il finale del #9 può aprire scenari futuri sulla psicologia del personaggio non indifferenti!  :clap:

Red Robin

Soprattutto la psicologia di quella gnocca in bikini :nod:

Azrael

AQUAMAN #0
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
1:25 B&W Variant cover by IVAN REIS
On sale SEPTEMBER 26 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• It's the first appearance of Atlantis – and Aquaman's first encounter with Atlanteans!
• How will this story of Arthur's past set the stage for his future? Find out here!

Azrael

Lois Lane

Darko

Mamma mia Ivan Reis. Ma quanto è bravo?

You and me, Jeannie.
You and me in a blaze of glory.

Ex but still James Howlett

Deadpool

Lois Lane

Citazione di: Darko il 22 Giugno 2012, 18:15:07
A mio gusto personale, una cosa esagerata!

E' stupendo. Ha un tratto che dona carisma, epicità e dinamicità  al supereroismo in modo assolutamente perfetto.

E' proprio adatto al genere! E lo fa senza mai e poi mai cadere in un tratto macchiettistico o sopra le righe. E' fine e pulito sempre.

Il mio sogno è di vederlo su Superman (chiaramente) e sulla JLA.

Red Robin

Citazione di: Clark Kent il 22 Giugno 2012, 18:25:34
Citazione di: Darko il 22 Giugno 2012, 18:15:07
A mio gusto personale, una cosa esagerata!

E' stupendo. Ha un tratto che dona carisma, epicità e dinamicità  al supereroismo in modo assolutamente perfetto.

E' proprio adatto al genere! E lo fa senza mai e poi mai cadere in un tratto macchiettistico o sopra le righe. E' fine e pulito sempre.

Il mio sogno è di vederlo su Superman (chiaramente) e sulla JLA.

ben detto clark  :quoto:

Post Uniti: 22 Giugno 2012, 19:34:05

Raga ma la tipa in bikini è la prima volta che compare?

Azrael

Black Manta and Aquaman face each other for the first time in the new 52. What secrets does their history hold?
The Good
Geoff Johns has done what I hoped he would with this book, build on the mythos of Aquaman and show the world he's truly a great character in the new DC universe. Johns really builds on Aquaman's rage and darkness in this issue as the history of Aquaman and Black Manta is revealed. You truly start to understand the hatred these two classic DC characters have for each other here and why they want to hurt each other in the worst way possible.

While building on the mythos, Johns has been introducing some great new characters, including the Others. We learn more about the Operative in this issue, and while at first, I wasn't too keen on him, a reveal in this issue made me like him a lot more.

I know it's a plot point we'll most likely see down the road, sooner that later I hope, but I'm really intrigued by The Relics and what would happen if Black Manta got his hands on all of them. And I can't wait to see how this all ties in to ancient Atlantis. Johns is slowly building these smaller story lines around a major event so well and it's keeping me so excited for every issue.

There's been a lot of Geoff Johns praise here, and I'm aware of that, but aside from being one of my favorite writers over at DC, he's really turned this character around, and on top of all of that, although we're in the middle of a storyline, this book is still fairly easy to jump into. Not so much this issue, per se, but if you've ever wanted to read an Aquaman book, then start with the beginning of this series.

There is a two page spread drawn by Ivan Reis (pencils), Joe Prado & Andy Lanning (inks), and Rod Reis (colors) that would make one amazing poster. It's one incredibly epic picture of Aquaman punching Black Manta in the raid. The attention to detail here is insane, and it's not just for this spread. The detail throughout the issue is fantastic, and it's great to have a book where the art and the writing are on the same page talent-wise.

The Bad
I love this book so much. Is that wrong?

The Verdict
What is there to say about this book that I haven't been saying since the start. It's the perfect revamp to a character no one took seriously, and each issue gives you a bit more of the mythos of this character. I love the new characters being introduced in this series, and the fight between Aquaman and Black Manta is fantastic. Geoff Johns is doing an amazing job with this character, and I love the art team.

This is a must buy series. This book redefines Aquaman. This is my pick of the week!

5 su 5

Da Cvine

Lois Lane

i disegni sono sempre eccezionali e questo personaggio si riprenderà ciò che gli era stato ingiustamente tolto. Grazie Johns che sai scrivere i super-eroi.  ^_^

Red Robin

letto tutto di un fiato :nod: Si riconferma la mia serie preferita del reboot. Ci hanno messo davanti ad un bel mistero e mi piace molto
Spiacente, ma non sei autorizzato a visualizzare il contenuto degli spoiler.
:nod:
E soprattutto ci hanno messo davanti due gnoccone tostissime del dcu: mera e yawhara ( credo di essermi innamorato  :wub: :wub: )

markko88

Testata che viaggia sempre su ottimi livelli, tra uno scrittore che non scade mai nell'ordinario e un disegnatore che rappresenta per me il non plus-ultra del genere supereroistico.
L'idea di fare di Aquaman un eroe con un passato oscuro è sicuramente azzeccata, sebbene non originalissima.

Azrael

Four chapters into the story of "The Others," we're still learning about who those Others are beyond the names and rough sketches introduced in March. "Aquaman" #10 gives the Operative a chance to get some insight into The Operative.

Naturally, with a new character bearing such an unapologetically spy-influenced name, more espionage and suspense is brought into this comic. The Operative breaks into Manta's headquarters, providing a glimpse into how Manta lives when he's not cursing the name of Arthur Curry. It's a rare glimpse behind the dome of one of pop culture's most endearing villains, but only a glimpse. Manta's minions and the Operative trade shots, which leads to more insight about the Operative.

Aquaman doesn't appear in his own comic until page ten, but Ivan Reis, Joe Prado and Rod Reis make that initial appearance incredibly bold and brash as to quickly remind readers whom this comic is about. As has been the standard on this comic, the art is nothing short of phenomenal. This issue -- with the first five pages spent in the lair of Black Manta -- is considerably less light-hearted than previous installments, but that suits the darker focus of the story. Johns and Reis are working metaphorically through the art, but only in a way that enhances the story as well.

The remainder of "Aquaman" #10 is filled with appearances from Prisoner of War and Ya'Wara as well as a flashback to Arthur and Manta's defining battle. The other story threading through this issue is the conversation between Mera and Shin which continues to mark time. Shin expands upon the last-page bombshell dropped in the previous issue, continually reflecting the darkness in story and art.

"Aquaman" continues to be one of the handful of DC comics that I truly look forward to each and every month. This issue serves as more of a transition, shifting the battlefields and re-arranging the combatants with an awful lot that happens to move the growing legend of Aquaman forward.

4 su 5

Da CBR